We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport security X-ray

Texas
Level Contributor
676 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airport security X-ray

Crazy question...

My duffle has no padding or structure...exactly why I wanted it, light weight and all.

But I want to separate my things some how without make more weight.

I want to take this in my carry on duffle............

It is an insulated food carrier-

"roomy carrier features high density thermal insulation plus Therma-Flect® radiant barrier to keep food hot or cold for hours. There is an Ultra Safe™ easy clean lining and comfortable, padded carry handle. Carrier folds flat for convenient....."

Will the reflective coating on the inside, looks like foil, be a problem that I need to totally take it out when going through the security line?

It is the best idea I have to serve as a light weight structure separating things in my duffle and will work inside my luggage later to separate dirty or wet clothes.

Will it X-Ray ok, or will they security guards freak out?

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport security X-ray

DeniseD722,

If there is ANYTHING that is questionable the TSA will pull you aside and ask to physically inspect you and/or your luggage.

if all you want is something to keep wet and dry things separate, then why not use a heavy duty garbage bag? they come in different sizes too. If all you are going to have wet is a swimsuit or shorts, a gallon size ziplock will do unless you're going to have a swimsuit for every day of the week?

btw, zip locks bags come in handy for many things.

as far as your "dirty" clothes, a garbage bag will work for that too. Or, you can buy some stuff sacks that back packers use. they are reusable and have a cinch cord and handle and come in different colors. This is what i use.

have fun.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,310 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport security X-ray

You will not need an insulated food carrier for wet or dirty clothes !

Ziplocks and more ziplocks - no such thing as too many of them of all sizes. They weigh barely anything and keep wet stuff separate, smelly or dirty shoes sealed, dirty clothes separate etc etc.

I write on each one with a marker. So ie on a long flight (my flights to my destinations can take 2 full days and 3 planes) in my carry on I have a small packing cell with 3 small (sandwich or snack sized) ziplocks in it labeled "undies clean", undies not clean", and "undies washed but damp" and then a couple of slightly larger ziplocks for a change of tops. In another larger ziplock I have my spare pair of shoes.

Edited: 15 June 2014, 06:15
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,391 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport security X-ray

DeniseD722,

also, depending on how long you will be gone and where you are going, you maybe able to find a laundryomat to do some washing. worse case, do it in a sink.

just something to think about is if you are going to make a habit of traveling, you may want to p/u some "travel" clothes. Clothes that will dry faster and are less bulky.

good luck

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,651 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport security X-ray

I often carry a soft sided cooler that has the reflective liner inside my rolling bag and it has never been noticed going through the checkpoint. The amount of aluminum in the lining is probably not going to be enough to block x-ray, and even if it does it will just result in a bag check.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,632 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport security X-ray

Ditto above, an insulated food carrier makes no sense... security x-ray is immaterial but the carrier will be balky and awkward. Definitely go with plastic bags or packing cubes... no reason to plan on hauling wet clothes around either, dry them before you depart your destination. I think you're making a very simple situation way too complicated.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,685 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport security X-ray

I also think large ziploc bags or plastic bags will be the best thing - unless of course you want the cooler bag to use at your destination.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,189 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport security X-ray

Ziploc bags come in many sizes (check on Ebay) as do mesh or nylon bags (also eBay). Smaller plain nylon duffles would also work and might provide a day shopping bag? Don't add a thing that doesn't have a second purpose or weighs nothing and takes up no room.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,310 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport security X-ray

<<<<<Don't add a thing that doesn't have a second purpose>>>>

should be compulsory packing advice that one !!!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,189 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport security X-ray

Now I just need to always follow my own advice!!

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,685 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport security X-ray

I also take nothing that does not have at least 2 uses and I take nothing that weighs much. My view is that what you need for 5/7 days is all you need - period. So I travel for 1-3 months (including different climate zones and formal events) with my 21 case (which I sometimes check) and a laptop sized carry-on.