We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Universal cylinder and key for hotel wall safes

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Universal cylinder and key for hotel wall safes

I read in a message on Trip Advisor that the traveller had got hold of a cylinder and key that they just pushed into the hole on hotel wall safes rather than pay the hotel to use theirs.

Has anyone else used these and in fact where can you buy them.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
6,847 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Universal cylinder and key for hotel wall safes

Why would you do this? Most in-room-safes are free and even when we have used the safe behind the desk there was no fee. Once our safe was left locked by the previous people and it was quite a performance to get it open.

Mission, Canada
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, Mission
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Universal cylinder and key for hotel wall safes

I agree, keen. Most hotel safes are free to use.

However, I think the OP is concerned about infrequent incidents of someone accessing their in-room safe since another discussion thread noted how hotel staff and "possibly others" could gain entry to their safe.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Universal cylinder and key for hotel wall safes

The last hotel we stayed at the charge for the wall safe cylinder was 4 euros each day over 14 days was total of 56 euros, 50 pounds approx I have never come across a free one yet. The maids are in the habit of leaving the doors open whilst they chat on the stairs and I dont feel that my safe is as "safe" as it should be.

Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,847 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Universal cylinder and key for hotel wall safes

I guess that the type of hotel plays a roll in whether there is a charge and also in possibility of access to a room safe.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Universal cylinder and key for hotel wall safes

If it was so easy to get a master key for any hotel safe, why would you ever consider storing your stuff in their in the first place?

Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,847 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Universal cylinder and key for hotel wall safes

tev9999 - My experience was that it was very hard to get the safe opened when the previous occupants left it locked. The 'universal' key was only held by the hotel manager (who was off-site until the next day!!).

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Universal cylinder and key for hotel wall safes

My point was in regards to the OP. He/she seems to imply that it is easy to just buy a key on the internet that will open any hotel safe. If true, anyone could get your stuff any time they could get access to your room - making the safe relatively pointless.

Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,847 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Universal cylinder and key for hotel wall safes

tev9999 - That would indeed be strange.

9. Re: Universal cylinder and key for hotel wall safes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2015, 05:17