We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best bag for 3 weeks travel in europe

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Topic
Best bag for 3 weeks travel in europe

Hi

I am travelling to France, Switzerland, Italy & Spain for 3 weeks. I am going with my family and its 5 of us in total (2 guys, 3 girls). We will be mostly travelling by trains but will be catching 2 flights as well. We are all planning on buying one backpack/rucksack each where we can fit all our clothes, essentials etc. The limit for plane cabin baggage is 10kg with max dimensions of approx. 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. As we will be doing a lot of walking and might have to go sightseeing with our luggage at times, I am looking for a light, comfortable bag that has plenty of room for 3 weeks worth of stuff.

Any recommendations for bags or what type of bags should I look for in particular?

Thanks

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,692 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best bag for 3 weeks travel in europe

Whether you're going for 3 weeks or 3 months your backpack carries basically the same stuff.

I travel independently for indefinite periods (several months at a time) via hotels/hostels through 3 climates with a 46 litre carry-on size backpack with LOTS of room left over - all the cinch straps are yanked to their tightest dimensions so the backpack is really only about 35 litres.

That's including a set of nice clothes to crash an Embassy party or high-end club, normal day-to-day casual and hiking wear, beach clothes, personal hygiene products and everything else you need to be safe/comfortable plus a laptop, digital still/video package and all the peripherals.

ospreypacks.com/en/…porter_46_1

There are lots of other carry-on size choices.

I have a separate daypack that fits inside the backpack. I use it to carry all my essentials when the main backpack is in an overhead bin, etc.

It's easily doable and you'll see LOTS of experienced backpackers doing the same - or even lighter. Seeing other travellers - especially smaller women - struggle with 60 - 70+ litre backpacks (plus additional huge daypacks!) is insane.

Going light makes sense to me because it allows me to keep my backpack with me (almost) all the time - it's carry-on size for aircraft, it doesn't need to be checked into the baggage space under the bus where it's out of my sight and out of my control - and it's obviously way easier/faster to navigate a crowded train aisle, keep with me inside the taxi, stow in a small boat, fit into a tuk-tuk, onto the back of a motorcycle and a million other situations.

Everyone's needs/requirements are different though... different strokes for different folks...

Good luck with your research and have fun shopping.

Cheers

Terry

Edited: 24 June 2014, 17:29
Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best bag for 3 weeks travel in europe

Thank you Terry for your advise :) The link that you posted does not work. Can you point out which bag were you referring to please?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best bag for 3 weeks travel in europe

I'm looking at Farpoint 40 and that looks fairly good.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,329 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best bag for 3 weeks travel in europe

Jamal6008,

Martin sums it up.

the airlines give you some guidelines to go by. The rest is up to you.

i know there are sporting goods store in the UK along with places to buy luggage, so hit up some of the local ones and see what they have to offer. Let them know the dimensions (but they should know that already) and see what they have to offer.

think about if you want wheels or not.

If it was me, id rather have a bag/pack that i can use as a back pack since it frees up your hands. but you may have different ideas.

also, there is no reason you cant go bigger, but you will have to check in your luggage. that works find until they loose it the first time and then what. So, just be aware of the +/- of everything.

one comment too. IF youre going to make a habit of traveling, look at this as an investment and look for something that will last. Also, in my opinion, i like open bag so that i dont have to fit a square peg in a round hold if you get my drift. i want to be able to pack what i want where i want it and not have the bag dictate.

good luck

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,692 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best bag for 3 weeks travel in europe

Odd that the link doesn't work for you, Jamal. Sorry about that.

In any case it goes to an Osprey Porter Backpack, 46 litres.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,075 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best bag for 3 weeks travel in europe

you only really need one weeks worth of clothes however long you are traveling for. You can wash underwear in the sink and get things laundered occasionally - all those countries have laundromats. Take some lightweight cloyhes that you can rinse out easily - I have some thin polyester things that i keep just for traveling.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best bag for 3 weeks travel in europe

Thank you everyone :)

I want to avoid checked in bags and ideally want something that will meet airline regulations. I thought about having bags with wheels but that will just add on to the weight of the bag and probably wouldn't be that useful. Considering I am only allowed 10kg I would much prefer a lightweight bag.

So far I like Osprey Farpoint 40 as it meets the airline regulations and weighs about 1.3kg. I am just going to have a look at Osprey Porter Backpack too which is slightly bigger.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best bag for 3 weeks travel in europe

Just looked at

Osprey Porter 46 Backpack and it actually looks fairly good too. It weighs even less only 1.09kg. Although the dimensions could be a problem. Airline restrictions are 55cm x 40cm x 20cm.

Bag Maximum dimensions: (mm) 570 (l) x 360 (w) x 240 (d)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,692 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best bag for 3 weeks travel in europe

My Porter 46 has been on dozens and dozens of different airlines and has never been refused as carry-on.

Of course it's never stuffed to capacity either and being soft sided its dimensions are "flexible."

Cheers,

Terry

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best bag for 3 weeks travel in europe

Hi Terry

I am traveling on budget airlines so I guess its probably not worth the risk considering the fact that if they do refuse to accept this as carry-on than I will end up paying the charges for 5 of these. What do you think of Farpoint 40? I know its 8 litres less but if I am not filling up the other bag to the max it might work out to be the same.

I am also finding it difficult to look for places that sell Porter. It seems like only osprey themselves sell it now. It is actually £22 more expensive than farpoint.

Edited: 27 June 2014, 08:16