We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for a LARGE (28"+) lightweight roller that'll last

3 posts
Save Topic
Looking for a LARGE (28"+) lightweight roller that'll last

Hey guys. I used to have a big 30" roller. Loved the versatility on travel where I don't need to pack light. The problem is that it was difficult to make my 50 pound weight allowance.

I was in TJMaxx the other day and saw the IT "World's Lightest" spinner. It was only 5 pounds! Then I read reviews. Apparantly the thin fabric gets torn easily, wheels break off, and the lack of structure means it often drags its butt on the ground.

I'd like something slightly more durable but with the same lightweight philosophy. Problem is, there doesn't seem to be ANYTHING out there between 5 and 9.5 pounds. A good 7 pound range bag under 61 linear inches are what I'm looking for. I prefer roller to spinner as they're better on rough terrein.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,671 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for a LARGE (28"+) lightweight roller that'll last

I do not use a case over 21inches so I have never even looked at cases that large - I would not be able to lift it off the luggage carousel. That large it would have to weigh 9pounds or so to be strong enough.

Edited: 26 June 2014, 15:39
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
14,167 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for a LARGE (28"+) lightweight roller that'll last

I think the largest I own is 23 inches. Could not fathom lugging around a 30 in case !

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for a LARGE (28"+) lightweight roller that'll last

No need to be judgemental; I know how to pack light. I lived out of my backpack for a year with two pair of pants, 4 shirts and a laptop. Packing light is not always necessary though. This is for a cruise, so I won't have to lug it far, but I need to pack casual wear, formal wear, a wetsuit and fins for scuba as well as bulky underwater camera equpiment. The wetsuit and fins alone would take up most of a 21 incher even though they weigh almost nothing, and I'm not wearing a wetsuit and fins to dinner!

Edited: 26 June 2014, 16:16
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,626 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for a LARGE (28"+) lightweight roller that'll last

I don't have any experience with luggage that big, but honestly, I can't imagine anything that huge being very durable with your low weight restriction.

Good luck with your research.

Cheers,

Terry

Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,671 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for a LARGE (28"+) lightweight roller that'll last

No one was being judgmental, we were merely giving our opinions. If we don't use large bags we cannot comment on them.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,542 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for a LARGE (28"+) lightweight roller that'll last

If I aim to use snorkel and fins, I usually do not pack them in with the rest of my clothes. The either go in a one sling backpack, as a carry on/personal item. Like this...

diverightinscuba.com/catalog/…

22" inch rollers are much easier to manage. Keep the snorkel and fins out.

Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,671 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for a LARGE (28"+) lightweight roller that'll last

Can't you rent snorkel and fins at your destination?

8. Re: Looking for a LARGE (28"+) lightweight roller that'll last

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 23:11
Spain
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,671 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for a LARGE (28"+) lightweight roller that'll last

CharChasm2014 - A shame that your first post is so negative. People were asked for and are giving their opinions.

10. Re: Looking for a LARGE (28"+) lightweight roller that'll last

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2015, 23:11
Get answers to your questions