We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backing up photos while on Safari

Nj
Level Contributor
311 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Backing up photos while on Safari

I am off on a 2 week safari soon and I was wondering what the best way to back up my photos is. Cloud won't be an option in remote Kenya lodges. I don't need to view the photos, just looking for the security of a backup and extra space in case I run out (unlikely as I plan to take with me 2 32GB and 2 16GB SDHC cards).

I shoot on a DSLR in raw and I do take a lot of photos. Not looking for anything to expensive.

Thanks!!

Paris, France
Destination Expert
for Paris
Level Contributor
5,853 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backing up photos while on Safari

Bring lots of cards. They don't need to be immediately backed up, you need only take care not to lose them. If you have backups with you, you're just as likely to lose those as you are to lose the originals.

Backups are for protecting against device failure once you get back home. They don't serve much purpose until that time.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Backing up photos while on Safari

Having been on 5 safaris my guess is that you will be shocked at how much you shoot and will quickly go through the cards you plan on taking, especially shooting RAW with a DSLR.

I disagree with Euromanic about the purpose of backups. I travel with a netbook and a couple of 1TB portable hard drives. After each game drive I download the images to both hard drives. I can cull the images on the netbook if I have time. I reformat the cards before the next use even though I travel with well over 100GB of CF cards. This might be a more expensive option but then I use the hard drives for storage of the photos forever.

I keep the hard drives in separate places when traveling such as one in camera backpack and one in my regular carry-on bag or even in a jacket pocket. That way if a bag were to ever get snatched or lost I would still have a copy of my pictures.

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Backing up photos while on Safari

Joseph K,

there are a couple options i can think of.

1. If your lodge/village has a PC to use, you can bring a SD reader or whatever card reader your camera uses and use the PC to make the transfer/copy to a USB thumb drive.

2. If you have a smart phone, you can get an "On the GO" (OTG) cable and use it along with a SD reader or whatever card you camera uses and transfer/copy to USB drive. You may also need to download a file manager app to make things work.

3. There are standalone SD backup units that are more or less solidstate hard drives but they can be expensive.

good luck.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 16:12
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,691 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Backing up photos while on Safari

2 x 32GB and 2 x 16GB SDHC cards for a two week safari when you're shooting RAW is nowhere near enough storage. Not even close.

Cheers,

Terry

Nj
Level Contributor
311 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Backing up photos while on Safari

Thanks for all the input. USB drives are an interesting option and I do have a Galaxy phone however the USB drives are not that cheap and it seems like a lot of work.

Perhaps I will buy a backup drive like this

bhphotovideo.com/c/product/828315-REG/Digita…

at 125 it's not cheap but perhaps for the peace of mind it's worth it. I mentioned I will be on safari for 2 weeks however I will have access to my computer for 2 days, as I am doing one week and then a few days later another week of safari. Will I still need more memory than I plan on bringing?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,691 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Backing up photos while on Safari

Yes.

Cheers,

Terry

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Backing up photos while on Safari

Joseph K

" Thanks for all the input. USB drives are an interesting option and I do have a Galaxy phone however the USB drives are not that cheap and it seems like a lot of work."

work is relative.

I bought the OTG, USB thumb drives and installed the a file manager app on my new phablet just to try it out and verify it would work. easy peasy. im not going to take it with me or use it on my trips either since i havent had a need to do any backups,yet. my PNS cameras dont do RAW format and even with taking pictures at the best quality settings i was able to get approx 5+k of pictures on each 32 gb? SD Card. My phablet is USB 3.0 so i got everything to match. its a world of difference and its not a waste of anything since my new mac is USB 3.0 and i will use the thumb drive on that too. i bought 64GB USB 3.0 thumb drives for $41 at our local geek shops. You can find them for a few bucks less on Amazon. the OTG want that expensive either.

good luck in your safari.

Edited: 09 July 2014, 19:18
r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,275 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Backing up photos while on Safari

Joseph K,

if you go with the B&H HD, its 320 GB. If you just look at using 1 32 GB SD card, that BH by the numbers will hold 10 full cards. But i would bet its not a true 320 GB of available memory due to internal software to make the transfers, formatting and directory of the files. So, i would say you could get 9 full SDs full at the most.

You can do the math too. how much can you buy 10 each 32 GB SD cards vs that one drive?

there is something else to look at - bulk. its small, but it still takes up space.

since you have access to a PC, look at getting an external HD. either SSD or mechanical. whatever you feel is easier and in you $$$. They wont be a compact as a handfull of SD cards or thumbdrives, but you may find what you like.

Here is another suggestion. Since you have no idea on how many SD cards you will need/want or actually use. i would do:

1. install one of your 32 GB SD cards and clear all pictures.

2. Set up your camera for RAW and whatever else you want to shoot.

3. Go outside and take 10 pictures. Try to vary the pictures/setting/lighting and so forth.

4. see how much memory is left on that 32 GB SD card. Divide the shots by 10 and get an average on file size.

5. if you want, you can even take some movies and see how much memory they will take too.

you will see how much each picture will take in terms of memory or at least get an "average" and so you can determine how many SD cards you may want or the size of backup.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Backing up photos while on Safari

I shot well over 600GB on my most recent 2 week safari. A 1TB HD is less than $100 now. You're spending what is probably a decent amount of money to go to Africa on safari. Many people consider it their trip of a lifetime. If photography is important to you, and even those who don't think it is get bitten by the bug while on safari, don't be over there and regretting that you didn't spend an extra $100 or $200 so that you can take all the photos you want. This is especially so because you say in your OP that you take a lot of photos.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,691 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Backing up photos while on Safari

Bullseye.

Cheers,

Terry