We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prepaid debit cards

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
86 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Prepaid debit cards

I am in the US... I am traveling to Bali, Indonesia next month. I do not want to bring my bank debit card and I don't have (and don't want) credit cards... In the past I always used travelers checks... But I understand they are now obsolete and no longer widely accepted. I am planning to bring cash but would also like to find a reasonable prepaid debit card... Does anyone have any that they can recommended? I looked into the travelex card- it looks like the fee's are a rip off.

THANKS in advance :-)

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,705 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Prepaid debit cards

Prepaid debit cards are a very bad value due to the fees. If you don't want to use your existing debit card, sign up for a new account with another bank and use that one for your travels. You can often find signup bonuses, so you can make $100-$200 too.

It is also a very bad idea to travel without a credit card IMO. They have 100% fraud protection, offer various insurance coverages for free (rental car, basic travel insurance), do not tie up your actual funds for deposits on hotel rooms or rental cars, and are invaluable when emergency strikes and you need $3000 but there is only $300 in your bank account.

2. Re: Prepaid debit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 February 2017, 03:30
Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,705 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Prepaid debit cards

The Travelex exchange rate is horrible. 1 USD buys .672 Euro - today's exchange rate is .75 Euro. You may not be paying fees, but you are losing 10% on the exchange. Seems to be the same for the other currencies they offer. You would be much farther ahead with a $10 ATM fee (probably much less) or 3% CC foreign transaction fee (which is easily avoided with the right card).

Midwest
Level Contributor
442 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prepaid debit cards

I agree with tev. You can open a new bank account and keep the amount low. There's no reason to ever pay interest fees on anything.

A credit card is invaluable for travel. If you're afraid of overextending yourself, simply make the credit limit fairly low.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,646 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prepaid debit cards

There may not be any fees, but the exchange rates on the Travelex and Qantas cards are rubbish: about 6% below the official exchange rate. That is a high rate to pay when there are other Australian cards that have no fees and give the official exchange rate.

6. Re: Prepaid debit cards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 05:16