We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is a GoPro worth $400 for my needs and uses?

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Topic
Is a GoPro worth $400 for my needs and uses?

Hi all, looking for a method to document my family vacations/personal trips.

I AM TERRIBLE PHOTOGRAPHER so I don't like to take photos, and if I did, I'd use my phone.

However, I am interested in using video and recording my trips (domestic and internationally) through there, and the GoPro caught my eye because it is small, portable, durable, and the video quality seems good. But it is relatively expensive at $400.

Another thing: The GoPro seems advertised for sports/extreme stuff/underwater, etc which I do not do at all nor plan on doing.

My uses would be this:

- Use GoPro to record me and family walking around town/place (I saw you can clip it to your backpack strap securely)

- Use it to record me walking around museums, parks, monuments, etc

- Use it to record walking/climbing up huge cathedrals, monuments, towers, bridges, etc

- Use it to record train/car rides and scenery

I also know that you can take stills/photos using the camera which I might do occasionally

I hope GoPro owners or people who have used them can chime in and help me decide. Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is a GoPro worth $400 for my needs and uses?

"... The GoPro seems advertised for sports/extreme stuff/underwater, etc which I do not do at all nor plan on doing..."

Forget the GoPro.

Use your smartphone or a cheap Point & Shoot.

Have fun.

Cheers,

Terry

Los Angeles...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is a GoPro worth $400 for my needs and uses?

Thanks for the response!

I'd love to use my smartphone, but the amount of time I spend in a museum or attraction will be long and if I'd use my smartphone, the battery would die, while with a GoPro I can bring external batteries.

Also, I think the GoPro has better video quality over my smartphone (iPhone).

Do you have any recommendations on good point and shoots that can record high quality video?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19,551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is a GoPro worth $400 for my needs and uses?

One external battery pack will run your smartphone way longer than a pocketful of GoPro batteries. I'm barely getting 30 minutes out of my GoPro internal battery. Remember the GoPro has no viewfinder either (that's another expensive battery draining option) and as you mentioned yourself it's just not designed for your usage.

To be honest all cameras have perfectly acceptable high def now, as do almost all of the new smartphones.

Lastly, and don't take this the wrong way, there is absolutely nothing in the world more boring than amateur video. By far your most important piece of equipment is software to edit your footage so it's in a watchable format. It takes a while to learn, but without editing your footage is utterly useless.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Terry

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
751 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is a GoPro worth $400 for my needs and uses?

i would advise against the gopro. as most people who own a go-pro just look goofy with it bc they are never doing anything extreme with it.

i dont think using a gopro to film dogs chasing a stick in the backyard constitutes as extreme. Yes, i saw that happen....

i would suggest the phone, or a small camera that can use picture/video modes.

gopro sure does look cool though! hats off to their marketers!

Edited: 14 August 2014, 17:06
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
6,792 posts
419 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is a GoPro worth $400 for my needs and uses?

I purchased my husband a gopro for christmas and he loves it. But we do a lot of adventure stuff. He has made you tube clips of mountain biking, sports, paddleboarding, white water rafting, canoeing etc. they come into their own in moving and water situations. The attachments mean he can attach to helmets, boards, bikes etc and get some awesome shoots and films.

Your normal camera would be best for in a musem and non action stuff. The gopro comes into its own with lots of movement, adventure and in the tough. My hubbie wouldnt be without his. but our next adventure is antarctica and it will thrive there.

As for battery power - we did a three day rafting trip and the battery lasted fine for the many clips taken.

Edited: 14 August 2014, 20:00
6. Re: Is a GoPro worth $400 for my needs and uses?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:16