We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mobile phone when travelling

Glasgow, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mobile phone when travelling

I will be travelling Southeast Asia, as well as Australia and New Zealand next year. Does anybody have any advice for what to do in regards to mobile phones. Being on my current contract will cost me a lot of money for calls and texts and mobile internet would be rediculous! is it best to buy a pay as you go sim and keep topping that up? (if so any advice on a good one to get?) or is there a good contract out there for being overseas and using calls and texts? thanks in advance

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
775 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mobile phone when travelling

My personal experience there is three options (again, this is me personally)

1) get international calling from your carrier (mine runs around $40 USD + whatever data I use, which is yes, expensive)

2) just use airplane mode and use WIFI for free, and use apps such as Skype or Viber. Can use email, iMessage etc.

3) what I have done in SE Asia, was use an unlocked GSM phone, and get a local sim card from a street vendor. cost me around $4 for 60 min or so...

i know nothing of australia or NZ as i have not been there.

again, this is just what i have done, i am sure others will have other ideas, opinions, insite. good luck, and enjoy your trip...

Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick
Level Contributor
6,705 posts
270 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mobile phone when travelling

I used to use SIM cards but now get an add-on to my regular plan. The cost will depend upon what you want - I get talk and texts for $45 Canadian.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mobile phone when travelling

Many places in Southeast Asia are very cheap and easy to pick up local SIMs. Thailand for example gives them for free at airport, and has them for just a couple dollars, at every 7/11. Then use smartphone apps to stay in touch with friends, family, work.

4. Re: Mobile phone when travelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2015, 05:15