We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toadstool Geologic Park

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Toadstool Geologic Park

Hello we're from Australia and flying into Denver and heading up to the Badlands national Park. I would love to visit the Toadstool Geologic Park in Nebraska.

Does anyone have any experience with this place? Where should one stay overnight nearby? Or a good place to day trip from? Should we go on the way up from Denver to Badlands...or is there another route that might be better. Crawford? Hot Springs, SD?

Much thanks in advance.

5 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,240 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toadstool Geologic Park

Depends on when you get on the road from Denver .. Scotts Bluff,Neb. makes a good overnight Should you drive I-76 to the 71 North... I would add Ft Robinson, State Park. Just West of Crawford to the 'short list' of attractions to visit ... Happy trails ... carracar

USA
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toadstool Geologic Park

The landscape at Toadstool Geologic Park is a lot like Badlands National Park as far as this layman could tell, maybe geologists would disagree. There was a 1 mile loop trail in the park that we thoroughly enjoyed. We stayed one night at High Plains Homestead, like Toadstool Geologic Park it is in the middle of nowhere and accessible only via gravel roads. http://www.highplainshomestead.com/ Other guests at High Plains Homestead were rock hounds visiting a nearby fossil bed, sorry, I know nothing about it.

More about our Nebraska visit is here: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28948…

Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Toadstool Geologic Park

Great thanks very helpful...the gravel roads OK for standard type car?

USA
Level Contributor
7,110 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toadstool Geologic Park

As bad as they were, we drove the gravel roads in a Toyota Corolla with no ill effects. Your rental car contract may not allow you to drive on unpaved roads.

Banks, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,120 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Toadstool Geologic Park

Most rental car companies do not allow their cars on gravel roads. You would need to check with them. It could become costly otherwise as it might nullifyyour contract agreement.

Reply to: Toadstool Geologic Park
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted