We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorable bus rides

San Diego
Level Contributor
414 posts
161 reviews
Save Topic
Memorable bus rides

I wonder if anyone hops a bus these days, just for the adventure.

I once took a Trailways bus across America, from San DIego to NYC.

We didn't have electronic devices to occupy us. Not even a DVR playing a movie. So the passing scenery, and the passengers on board were the entertainment.

I remember the one liners: like, "What do folks do in Barstow?" Or, "I remember eating at that road diner last year. Tastes like the same chicken, too."

Even better was getting to know your fellow passengers, like the knitting grandmother behind me. She played mandolin in a country-western band, though I privately thought she'd broken out of a rest home.

Months later, I returned to San Diego for Thanksgiving. Unfortunately, we got trapped in a snowstorm and spent the evening in a Denver bus terminal. I remember this character walking in circles, muttering, "They picked me. They picked me."

When I disembarked at the San Diego bus station, I learned my baggage was missing. So the next time I hit the road, I began hitch-hiking. Got to New York (from San Diego) faster than the bus!

Yet, I'll always remember that Trailways journey across America.

15 replies to this topic
1. Re: Memorable bus rides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 October 2017, 23:58

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
9,541 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorable bus rides

"The people riding buses now a days are typically criminals released from jail and others that in no way would I want to sit next to for a long trip." What a thing to say. I just rode a Greyhound up to the Twin Cites from Madison and sat with a retired professor from UW. We had a great conversation the entire trip and even exchanged email addresses. Please do not stereotype in a cruel way....where is your proof that the typical riders are criminals released from jail? Are you really serious? I hope I caught you on a bad day. Oh, and our bus station here in Madison is located on the University of Wisconsin campus by the Student Union....hardly not a safe area.

Milwaukee
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
Level Contributor
11,829 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorable bus rides

I would not want to ride a Greyhound cross country, but if the need arose I agree with Eric, I would have no problem getting on a Greyhound for a 4 hour or so trip. If I sat next to someone who looked down on their luck I would not assume they were a criminal just released from jail.

I am sure there are many horror stories about smelly people and other issues with Greyhound passengers, but have you been on a plane recently?

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,742 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorable bus rides

Back of bus with band, cheerleaders, football team in HS. Those were the days.

It's been decades since the middle class used long distance busses as transportation. Cars and airfare are too cheap.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorable bus rides

Years ago Greyhound ran a service from Portland down the Oregon coast and through the redwoods to San Francisco (long gone.) A Scottish friend and I took it in December one year. It was his first visit to the US and he was gobsmacked by the redwoods. But the highlight (?) was when some guy who smelled like a brewery boarded the bus in someplace like Reedsport and sat next to my friend complaining about not feeling well. My friend asked him what was wrong, and the guy opened his jacket, revealing a gunshot wound! I jumped up and told the driver, who mashed the pedal to get us to Coos Bay ASAP. The buses didn't have radios back then, so he pulled up at the Greyhound station and found a security guard or cop who came and took the guy, who was still conscious but groggy, off to (I presume) the emergency room.

Welcome to America, pilgrim.

San Diego
Level Contributor
414 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memorable bus rides

My son took a Greyhound from Indiana to San Diego a few years ago.

Like myself, he's a writer, adventurer, and that's all he could afford!

The hardest part for him was the bus was not road-worthy, and the driver had to stop numerous times to let the radiator cool down. The bus terminals were also in sketch parts of town.

But he got his stories!

Madison, WI
Level Contributor
9,541 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memorable bus rides

Sage....one of my favorite bands, Richmond Fontaine penned this song about Greyhound travel...see link.

…wikia.com/wiki/…5_Degrees_Below_Zero

8. Re: Memorable bus rides

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 December 2017, 22:03

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Memorable bus rides

"The people riding buses now a days are typically criminals released from jail and others that in no way would I want to sit next to for a long trip."

Disappointing to read and an unfortunate stereotype. I ride the bus to NYC often to visit family and it is the only alternative to driving in my area as we (like many areas of the country) do not have train service. Many other regular people who do not want to bring a car to NYC also ride. Since I live in a college town so many students also ride. Those I describe are not criminals and either keep to themselves and their devices or are sources of pleasant conversation.

Edited: 17 October 2017, 22:56
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,042 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Memorable bus rides

On one of my rides to NYC years ago, the bus driver tried to take a shortcut and I think he got lost (though he didn't admit it) ... we were really late though I don't remember how late. The funny part of the otherwise miserable ride was when we pulled up to an intersection in or near Newark NJ (off route) and a passenger said "Hey that's my house! Can I get off?" - the driver let him off!

I remember thinking how lucky that passenger was.

Edited: 17 October 2017, 23:20
Reply to: Memorable bus rides
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted