We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where in the world would you go on a road trip?

Te Awamutu, New...
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Where in the world would you go on a road trip?

My husband and I want to go on a road trip we are just not sure where to go in the world! We are in our 40s and live in New Zealand (so miles away from pretty much everywhere). Anyone recommend any fabulous locations?

25 replies to this topic
Munich
Level Contributor
10,200 posts
5 reviews
21. Re: Where in the world would you go on a road trip?

OK, you are right. I didn't realize and didn't see that this trip should be in July/August. I only read the first question. Now I've found it.

But the northern part of both countries are also a good idea for that time of the year.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
17,262 posts
22. Re: Where in the world would you go on a road trip?

<<northern part of both countries >>

Yes, that’s nearer the equator 😉, a similar latitude to Southern Africa and a good chunk of Australia.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
13,187 posts
233 reviews
23. Re: Where in the world would you go on a road trip?

I'd do a 7-day one way cruise (between Vancouver & ALaska), then do a 3 week drive in Alaska & Yukon.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,674 posts
24. Re: Where in the world would you go on a road trip?

Some general thoughts...

What about a transcontinental drive in North America? Or a partial one - say Chicago to San Francisco via the northern tier - Black Hills, Yellowstone, Vancouver/Seattle, Olympic National Park, then south down the Oregon coast to the redwoods, ending in San Francisco. Incredible variety.

Or a Pacific Northwest - Canadian Rockies - US Rockies - Redwoods loop?

Or, although it's in the southern hemisphere, a drive through South Africa? Something like this - https://goo.gl/maps/K6G9A6nbZhJ2 - would start with the Panorama Route and safari options around Kruger Park, then south to the St. Lucia area, then Durban and over to the central Drakensberg mountains. You'd then head south to Addo Elephant NP near Port Elizabeth, then down the Garden Route to the Cape Winelands and Cape Town, then possibly a spur trip north along the Atlantic coast to see the incredible spring wildflowers in Namaqualand, ending back in Cape Town.

July-August is the dry season (also no mosquitoes) in the north, and the weather along the Indian Ocean coast will be very pleasant. August can be wet (or not) in Cape Town, but by late August the wildflowers along the Atlantic coast up to Namaqualand are world-famous. This is a superb trip.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
24 reviews
25. Re: Where in the world would you go on a road trip?

Niagra falls and all lakes in between from NYC

Reply to: Where in the world would you go on a road trip?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted