We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling in the Southern States

perth
Level Contributor
50 posts
22 reviews
Travelling in the Southern States

Hi - It's been suggested that this is the best Forum to post my question in. I’m in Central America till mid March 2019 and after that I want to spend 2/3 weeks in the Southern States - Possibly starting from New Orleans and including Memphis, Georgia, Alabama, Southern Carolina. I’ve been looking for tours but can’t find anything that’s inclusive or operating at that time of year. Am happy to move independently by bus, train etc but wouldn’t be comfortable driving. I’ve been to Louisiana and Mississippi before but will be traveling with my sister for whom it’s all new. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

23 replies to this topic
perth
Level Contributor
50 posts
22 reviews
21. Re: Travelling in the Southern States

Thanks for your response. We are now looking at driving and have Google mapped a round trip starting from Atlanta and heading tMemphis via Birmingham, then down to New Orleans , across to Montgomery, then onto Savannah and Charleston and back to Atlanta. We're looking at 16 - 20 days. Is this a reasonable time frame/route etc? Anything else you feel we should see? I have travelled in the States before. In 2014, my husband and I did 6 months in a Winnebago, but didn't get to Georgia, Alabama or SC. would appreciate your input. Thanks in advance!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
34,985 posts
508 reviews
22. Re: Travelling in the Southern States

Great places!

Stick to hotels and a car for this trip. A RV does not work.

Anything you want to see in Atlanta?

Suggestions for route and days-

Atlanta fly in 1 day

Drive to Memphis stopping in Tupelo for Elvis boyhood home and church and on to Memphis 1 day

Memphis 2 days

Drive to Vicksburg thru Clarksdale .5 day

Vicksburg 1 day

Natchez 1 day

New Orleans 3 days

Drive to Montgomery 1 day (Lots of great beach spots and coastal towns to stop in and could add a day here. )

Drive to Savannah 1 day

Savannah 2 days

Charleston 2 days

Back to Atlanta 1 day

Only suggestions and did not add in drive times if less than 3 or 4 hours.

Also no time in Atlanta.

Let us know if other questions!

Edited: 21 October 2018, 13:39
Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
26,354 posts
38 reviews
23. Re: Travelling in the Southern States

Travelmum - as you will have figured out by now resposted simply get tacked onto the bottom of the thread, the don't follow the individual post you responded to, so your repeated comments unfortunately have gotten lost. But, don't worry - you know for next time if a comment relates to a specific person or post, just use number of screen name.

Now that we know you have a driver and will be driving, that changes pretty much everything.

Yes, forget the RV for this trip, stick to a regular rental car and motels/hotels. It's a great option for a long trip, unsuited to a shorter, city heavy one.

PeachBelle has provided an outline route, and 16 to 20 days would be enough for a loop, but of course 20 will give you more time to enjoy some of the stops that have a lot of activities.

I'd suggest you consider Nashville over Birmingham, but maybe you had something specific in mind in Birmingham.

SWT

Reply to: Travelling in the Southern States
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted