We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Check customer review sites before you book cars

5 posts
1 review
Check customer review sites before you book cars

AVOID Goldcar!

To add to the list of problems people have had with them (which I only realise the depth and frequency of their dodginess now by looking at forums after being ripped off myself) ....

@Goldcar 's customer service is awful! I hired a car for less than 40€ and @Goldcar have stolen 62€ by taking the deposit in GBP (having not allowed me to choose Euros) and returning it in Euros having skimmed 5%! I've tried to resolve x4 via 'customer service' (which itself is a nightmare!)

When taking the 'deposit' the Goldcar staff who dealt with me did not allow me to choose the local currency (EUR€) - he forced "Dynamic Currency Conversion" on me after I had entered my PIN - he stated the deposit amount in EUR€ - to change it out of sight is not acceptable and amounts to fraud - very annoyed as their customer service not helping after four tries.

2 replies to this topic
Bel Air, Maryland
Level Contributor
672 posts
145 reviews
1. Re: Check customer review sites before you book cars

Like you, posters don’t look at TA until AFTER they have already been victimized. If those wishing to rent a car came to TA BEFORE renting, companies like Gold Car would cease to exist.

Fremont, California
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
33,178 posts
6,438 reviews
2. Re: Check customer review sites before you book cars

Many people rent more often than once- and many like their rental companies.

Sorry this one did not work for you.

Reply to: Check customer review sites before you book cars
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted