We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental price??

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
car rental price??

I hope this isn't a silly question, but I'm stumped!

I've been pricing rental cars for an upcoming vacation in Florida. The best deal I've found is through Budget. I was getting ready to actually rent the car when I noticed it said you can prepay and save up to 40% so I clicked on that, because who doesn't want to save money?!

My question is this. The original rental cost is $654.08, but when I clicked on the "prepay and save up to 40%", the cost is $735.62 for the exact same rental!!

What is the deal? What am I missing, here. I went through the process 2 or 3 times and the prepay keeps coming out to be more expensive.

I don't mind to prepay to SAVE money, but why is it going to cost more instead of less?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,024 posts
52 reviews
1. Re: car rental price??

Sounds pretty strange to me. You might go back to the website and click on the customer service link and ask them what is going on. At first I thought maybe the $654.08 was the 40% off of a cost of $735.62, but the numbers don't add up.

If you're a member of AAA check on their membership site for rental car company discounts.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,246 posts
67 reviews
2. Re: car rental price??

I wouldn't even try to figure out "why" , I 'd just go to another company.

I have been using www.priceline.com to bid on rental cars lately because it comes out the least expensive.

they only use major car companies so even though you won't know WHICH company until the end of the transaction ,it has always turned out well for me.

Illinois
Level Contributor
312 posts
47 reviews
3. Re: car rental price??

riffsmom,

Are they cheaper than Hotwire?

I found a deal on Hotwire for $346.43 for the same rental, but won't know which company till I complete the transaction. The only catch is that I will have to take a shuttle at the airport to pick up the rental car. It's still a major company with the rental counter inside the airport, but to get the cheapest price, the car pick up requires a shuttle.

I'm thinking I'll go through them.

I'll take a look at Priceline though. Many thanks!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,246 posts
67 reviews
4. Re: car rental price??

USUALLY Priceline is cheaper than Hotwire but not always. The way to find out is as you have done, get a price on Hotwire and then bid at least 15% lower on Priceline. IF they won't give it to you then just go back and buy from Hotwire.

5. Re: car rental price??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2009, 05:54