We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which map book - help needed please!

England
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
168 reviews
Save Topic
Which map book - help needed please!

Hello from England

We are planning a road trip from Washington down through East Tennessee and on to Florida. We've already got some information from TA, lots of help from members too of course, but can anyone please help by telling us two seniors which would be the best and most helpful USA road map book to buy in advance so that we can plan our route and sightseeing trips more easily.

Both the AA and the Rand McNally Roat Atlases have been mentioned by friends who live in Australia. Which is the best or is there another that may be even better?

Thanks.

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
502 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which map book - help needed please!

Hello Eyepye-7-

I prefer the Rand McNally, but really both are great. I would also recommend that you get a more detailed map for each state/area you'll be in. The larger atlases don't show the smaller roads usually, and those are the roads where you're most likely to lose your way!

Hope this helps-

Tara

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which map book - help needed please!

We usually use a Rand McNally Road Atlas while on the road, and if we stop in a larger city, we use our Garmin GPS to get around.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which map book - help needed please!

Rand McNally for ever. Our first one is from 1979. AAA has excellent detailed maps for many places too. In Australia we use Hema Maps but that's off topic-lol-

Tet

Virginia Beach...
Destination Expert
for Suffolk
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which map book - help needed please!

I usually prefer the maps provided by a state compared to AAA, state provided maps show attractions and areas of interest better than AAA maps. If you have time prior to your trip, go to the individual state websites and request a map. For free Virginia maps (also ask for the scenic roads map, it's great) go to http://virginia.org/site/brochure.asp?id=TGM

Happy trails

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
73,926 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which map book - help needed please!

Hi;

Another vote for Rand McNally Road Atlas. I've been using their maps since the early 80's to drive all over the eastern US & Canada.

Best Regards

England
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which map book - help needed please!

Thanks Goneagain2, I've done just that and will look for some in the other States we shall be visiting too, didn't know before that we could get these detailed maps. However, we shall also get the Rand McNally too as that seems to get the most votes.

As always, all the help we receive on TA are very much appreciated so a big thank-you to everyone.

7. Re: Which map book - help needed please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2009, 06:24