We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Page (Antelope Canyon) or Mesa Verde?

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Page (Antelope Canyon) or Mesa Verde?

Wish we had a poll option here! Our September trip includes Joshua Tree, Sequoia-Kings Canyon, Yosemite, Death Valley, Las Vegas, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef and Monument Valley. Considering everything we'd already seen on this trip, do we finish it off by going to Page or head towards home via Mesa Verde?

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Page (Antelope Canyon) or Mesa Verde?

Hmm! I should stop myself from answering your question. Someone scolded me recently for suggesting a side trip to Page. If you have time go for it, if not don't go.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,360 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Page (Antelope Canyon) or Mesa Verde?

Somebody scolded you, Places? Well, shame on them, LOL ;-)

Cjnky, Antelope Canyon is truly unique, IMO. I have not been to Mesa Verde, and I'm sure it's just lovely desert, too. But look at a website or pics of Antelope Canyon and you'll see it is one-of-a-kind. It looks just like the photos and is honestly incredible!

http://www.antelopeslotcanyon.com/

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Page (Antelope Canyon) or Mesa Verde?

Hope it was not me who skolded you Places. Can't imagine.......

Las Vegas-Bryce-Capitol Reef-Monument Valley and....

It's 2.5 hours from Monument Valley to Page and not in the Mesa Verde direction and you'll have to drive back almost same route. So if you have a day to spare do it, if not, drive Monument Valley to Mesa Verde NP directly. Page will take an extra day. And yes, Antelope Canyon is great so is Horseshoe bend overlook, but you can see a great overlook at Gooseneck SP and Moki Dugway. It's all up to you.

Cheers

Tet

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Page (Antelope Canyon) or Mesa Verde?

Another thought. You are driving Capitol Reef to Monument Valley. A not too long detour is to drive 24 from Hanksville and to Little Wild Horse canyon for a slotcanyon. Also will take some time though and a backtrack.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Page (Antelope Canyon) or Mesa Verde?

I would go on to Mesa Verde. It's on your way and with the national parks pass, Mesa Verde entry will be free. You should spend at least half a day there; it's a fascinating place.

The Navajos are now charging all the market will bear for a one hour visit to Antelope Canyon--$32 per adult and $20 per child per Chief Tootsie's tour website. You might save a few bucks by driving yourself out to the parking lot, but at last report you still pay a per head "parking fee" plus entry fee. AC is beautiful, but save it for another day when you've got plenty of time to explore the Page area including Lees Ferry, Horseshoe Bend and Lake Powell.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Page (Antelope Canyon) or Mesa Verde?

Mesa Verde is such an incredible place that you will not want to miss it. We stayed at the lodging in the park which was perfect for our family of 6, and the tour into the cave-dwellings is not to be missed. It is unlike anything else you will experience in any other national park or monument on your trip, and you will come back with memories and images that will last a lifetime. Have fun!

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Page (Antelope Canyon) or Mesa Verde?

Hi Tet and Half-Britt, you both are always so generous and helped me many times to make those final fine decisions.

I just need to remember a forum name of a poster who was not too nice and never make any suggestions but regarding Antelope Canyon or Mesa Verde, they are so different, both so unique and fascinating so it depends. A traveler with a full itinerary and limited time needs to remember that more time is needed for Mesa Verde. You can see Antelope Canyon in two hours and be on your way home or wherever you're going from there.

8. Re: Page (Antelope Canyon) or Mesa Verde?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2009, 06:16