We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is this feasible? Grand Canyon - Monument Valley overnight

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Is this feasible? Grand Canyon - Monument Valley overnight

Hi all,

I posted on this forum ages ago (getting some really great advice), about a road trip we (two adults, two kids age 10 and 8) are planning in September. I have come down to this itinerary and would love some feedback, particularly about the end part of the trip.

Okay, we have booked flights flying into and out of LA.

Day 1 - arrive LA 12.15pm, rent a car, stay Hollywood (VRBO)

Day 2 - explore Hollywood region, see sign, Griffith Observatory etc

Day 3 - Beaches - Venice Beach, Santa Monica Pier

Day 4 - Disneyland

Day 5 - Coast road drive through to Cambria

Day 6 - Hearst Castle, drive to Monterey, see Aquarium

Day 7 - drive to San Francisco, stay Nob Hill or Alamo in VRBO

Day 8 - keep car for this day - day trip to Sonoma or Napa Valley

Day 9 - no car, explore San Fran

Day 10 - San Fran

Day 11 - pick up RV and head to Yosemite

Day 12 - Yosemite

Day 13 - Yosemite

Day 14 - drive over Tioga Pass to Lone Pine

Day 15 - Lone Pine to Death Valley

Day 16 - Death Valley to Las Vegas

Day 17 - Las Vegas

Day 18 - drop off RV, get "remarried" by Elvis, splurge with a night at the Bellagio

Day 19 - pick up hire car, drive to Grand Canyon

Day 20 - Grand Canyon

Day 21 - here is my question - could we from here drive to Monument Valley to stay overnight in a Navajo hogan, and then on Day 22 - drive back to Flagstaff, drop car, catch plane to LA in time for flight home (9.30pm?)

Or, should we abandon Monument Valley and add another night somewhere else, returning the car back to Las Vegas to get the flight home

If on day 20 we drove to Monument Valley, then back on day 21 for another night, drop car and fly from Flagstaff - mainly in case time is a problem

Or any other ideas??

Thanks all,

J

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,580 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is this feasible? Grand Canyon - Monument Valley overnight

yes. GC to MV is only 3 hours. From MV to Flagstaff only 2 and 1/2 hours.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is this feasible? Grand Canyon - Monument Valley overnight

Thanks wings - when I searched on Google maps it seemed a lot longer.

Can anyone recommend a website to get accurate travel times/distances?

Cheers,

J

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is this feasible? Grand Canyon - Monument Valley overnight

Try

mapquest.com

If you put in points of origin and destination, it will give you a route and also estimated driving time (you can alter the route if you don't like the default one and it will revise the route).

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is this feasible? Grand Canyon - Monument Valley overnight

Driving from GC Village to MV Tribal Park in 3 hours is highly theoratically like driving back to Flagstaff in 2.5 hours is. The Stig can do it though. Your trip sounds good but a lot of hassle to change car to RV to car. I don't think the place to d/o the car in SF (you'll be punched on the nose if you say San Fran in SF-lol-) is the same place as the pick up of the RV. I also don't know where your vrbo accomodation is. Maybe far from public transport and a taking a taxi will bring same costs as keeping the car. Also, you may hit high drop off fees when delivering the car in Flagstaff and flying Flag to LA costs you an arm and a leg and afaik it's not a direct flight. Your day 22 gives me the creeps. Starting from MV, drive to Flag, deliver car, take a flight to LA and the flight to Australia brrrrrrr. One puncture and you're in trouble.

I would skip Monument Valley. You ve already seen so many places and this extra visit is very rushed. After day 20 (GC Day) drive back to Las Vegas day 21 taking your time for R66 and Hoover Dam and relax Vegas day 22 before the flight. No drop off charges for the car and less costs for the flights.

Tet

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is this feasible? Grand Canyon - Monument Valley overnight

Thank you Tet (I was hoping you would comment).

Of course, you are correct and all sorts of hassles could occur on day 22.

There are always "casualties" when planning a trip and I think Monument Valley is one of them on this trip - still, I always say you have to leave something to come back to!

And thanks for the SF/San Fran tip - are there any others I need to know??! LOL.

J

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is this feasible? Grand Canyon - Monument Valley overnight

Well, it's a great trip but I don't see the point of changing RV to car in Las Vegas. Why not drive the RV to GC and stay at the campground? Unpacking and packing cars/RV? Our car is a mess after a couple of days and that's without kids.....

In Los Angeles you're planning Disneyland. That's an hour drive from Hollywood because it's in Anaheim. With kids that age I also would think about visiting Universal. Easy to reach from Hollywood without using the car. Universal is something you'll have to do once in your life imo and the kids will love it. Maybe use this: universalstudioshollywood.com/ticket_front_o…

Your day 6 also will be rushed. You'll need your time for Hearst Castle and the drive to Monterey with places like Big Sur and Point Lobos. And half a day or the Bay Aquarium. So maybe visit the aquarium the morning of day 7 before the drive to SF (San Francisco, SF or "The City", not San Fran or Frisco....). If you like wineries go for Napa or Sonoma but you also easily could spend 2 full days in SF itself. You also can find wineries near Paso Robles not far from Cambria http://www.google.nl/search?sourceid=navclient&hl=nl&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ACAW_nlNL297NL297&q=paso+robles+wineries

Hope you can pick the RV up in the morning. Please check.

Well, Yosemite and Death Valley speaks for themselves. A highlight on your trip. No hookups in Death Valley afa I know. But things are changing all the time. In Lone Pine maybe show the kids the huge worm at the museum from the movie Tremors. yelp.com/biz/beverly-and-jim-rogers-museum-o… Have not been myself yet but it's on our this years bucket list.

Your day 18 will be the real highlight of your trip of course! Congrats! ("Elvis has just left the building ;)"

Last hint. If you skip MV maybe take a detour between Las Vegas and GC and visit Oatman www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/oatman.html

Tet

Brisbane
Level Contributor
206 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is this feasible? Grand Canyon - Monument Valley overnight

Awesome as always Tet - thank you.

Yes, we have revised it all and will keep the RV to visit the Grand Canyon. We thought we'd drive from Death Valley through to Kingman on day 16, then Kingman to the Grand Canyon, exploring old Route 66 along the way. After Grand Canyon, back to Las Vegas, drop the RV and stay in a hotel for the last two nights. Getting re-married (we already eloped to the Cook Islands 3 years ago, but the kids weren't there, so they are excited to be bridesmaid and best Elvis) is definitely going to be a highlight!

The Monterey aquarium is just one idea - we often go to Underwater World on the Sunshine Coast, have been to the awesome aquarium in Sydney and this April will be visiting Melbourne and probably go to the aquarium there. I'd rather visit the seal colony, or just enjoy the drive between Cambria and Monterey. Lots and lots of exciting things to see and do the whole trip!

Getting excited now - was frustrated before but happier now that a route has been planned, even if Monument Valley has been dropped.

Thanks again!

J

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,580 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is this feasible? Grand Canyon - Monument Valley overnight

Tet-- I do believe my husband drives like the Stig! :)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is this feasible? Grand Canyon - Monument Valley overnight

Maybe he IS the Stig Wings. Nobody knows. I happen to know, because you hate to fly, you must drive at high speed ;-)

J. we have been to the aquariums in Sydney and Townsville (we preferred the last one...) but Monterey really is something special. And for seals, if you ever want to see a huge colony go Kangaroo Island and Flinders Chase NP. 1000ds of them near Admirals Arch.

Tet

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,580 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is this feasible? Grand Canyon - Monument Valley overnight

Uh, no... he just THINKS he is! :) Actually, he complains because I drive more aggressively than he does. Not true-- I'm just not as "smooth" I figure the gas pedal and brake pedal are there for a reason???? We DO actually take our time when traveling, tho. Like to enjoy everything along the way as opposed to just getting from Point A to Point B. Have to get into a different mind set.

jemmwm... take Tet's info to heart. He has traveled extensively and knows of what he speaks.