We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip from Baltimore to Montreal.

Washington, D>C>
Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Road trip from Baltimore to Montreal.

Any must sees on the way to Montreal from Baltimore? I81 or I87 routes?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,031 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road trip from Baltimore to Montreal.

Hi cdrctravelers;

About 10 miles west of the 1000 Island Bridge / I 81 crossing is the town of Gananoque (pronounced GAN-AN-OCK-WAY), the "Gateway to the Thousand Islands". From there you can take a boat tour of the 1000 Islands.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g182143-d13…

www.ganboatline.com/

They offer 1 hr, 2.5 hr, 5 hr, and 8 hour tours. The 5 hour tour stops at Boldt Castle, which was built in 1900 by the former owner of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in New York City. If you wish to walk about the island and tour through the castle, you will need to clear U.S. Customs, as the island is in American waters. Be sure that you bring your identification as required.

tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g29794-d105…

www.boldtcastle.com/

While in Gananoque, check out the Thousand Islands Playhouse for great live theatre.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g182143-c88400/Gananoq…

http://www.1000islandsplayhouse.com/

If you decide to stay in Gananoque overnight, I strongly recommend the Islandview Inn Bed & Breakfast, which is located only 1 block from where the tour boats dock, and the St Lawrence River.

tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g182143-d619664-…

www.islandviewinnbb.com/

The Holiday Inn Express would be my second choice, but is located at the opposite end of town.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g182143-d578912…

For more info on the 1000 Islands;

www.1000islandsgananoque.com

www.visit1000islands.com/

www.1000islandsinfo.com/

When leaving Gananoque, for a minor side trip, you may wish to drive along the scenic 1000 Island Parkway. The 1000 Island Parkway starts at the east end of Gananoque. It runs east along the St. Lawrence River, for approx. 40 km / 25 miles before connecting to Highway 401 towards Montreal.

Best Regards

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road trip from Baltimore to Montreal.

Great suggestions above but please do not dismiss I-87. There are so many wonderful places to stop and definitely less traffic on I-87 once you leave Albany, NY. You may want to consider staying one night in Saratoga Springs and the second night in Lake Placid or two nights in Lake Placid. It is a very easy drive from Saratoga Springs and from Lake Placid to Montreal and very scenic drive along I-87 through the Adirondacks. We often go from the Adirondacks to Montreal just for a day. When are you traveling? Are any kids traveling too? If you decide to take I-87 instead of I-81 I can make specific recommendations.

Edited: 21 June 2010, 12:49
Washington, D>C>
Level Contributor
89 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road trip from Baltimore to Montreal.

Tkx for your help...this sounds wonderful. We are toying with the idea of stopping at Seneca Falls, NY for a halfway point to see the Women's National Hall of Fame and then heading east toward Montreal....1000 Islands sounds like a wonderful place to stop too.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
74,031 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road trip from Baltimore to Montreal.

You're Welcome, cdrctravelers !

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road trip from Baltimore to Montreal.

We went through Vermont (Woodstock is beautiful) and NY State - through Lake George, Lake Placid to Alexandria Bay - where we took a cruise through the Thousand Islands with Uncle Sams Cruises. The whole drive was just awesome.

Then we crossed the border and on the Canadian side just past border control, there is a Sky Tower - go to the top. The views of the 1,000 islands is magnificent.

The Freeway up to Montreal is not far from the Sky Tower - about a mile, or could be less.

6. Re: Road trip from Baltimore to Montreal.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2010, 06:16