We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Idaho/Oregon Scenice Byways

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Idaho/Oregon Scenice Byways

We are travelling from Vancouver, Canada to Yellowstone at the end of August/beginning of September. The majority of our trip will be spent in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. We are travelling to Yellowstone via Spokane, Washington (Hwy 90) to Livingston, Montana and heading south via Hwy 89 to the north gate.

We would like to travel back to Vancouver a different route. Our visit to Yellowstone and Grand Teton will end in Grand Teton on Friday, September 10th. I had thought it would be nice to travel to the Mesa Falls via the Teton and Mesa Falls Scenic Byways (Hwys 33, 32 & 47). But then what? We had thought to travel via Hwy 20 to Craters of the Moon (spending the night), and then via Hwy 84 to Boise and the Blue Mountains (spending the night area of La Grande). But maybe there are better options.

We need to back in Vancouver on Sunday - so we have 3 days to travel. We'd love to hit the scenic drives - especially if their are scenic points of interest to stop at along the way. We are travelling in our truck and camper so will be camping for our overnights. It is myself, husband and four year old travelling together.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Idaho/Oregon Scenice Byways

I presume being from the BC area that you can spend a different vacation seeing the country in NW Washington State.

Hence:

I would personally drive east from Jackson to Bend, Oregon. There are a few things to see on the way there, like the Basque center in Boise, the falls in Twin Falls, and maybe the Oregon Trail center in Baker City (out of the way, and the 4yo won't get it really, though).

In Bend, spend a day going to the Lava Tubes, the Museum of the High Desert , and stay in Sun River south of town. It will take you about 11 hours to get from Bend to BC on the last day. That might be a lot for your little one!

From Bend, head to Salem at the Santiam Junction west of Sisters. In Salem there is a fab kids museum (the Gilbert House) . Once you leave Portland there's not much to do until you are in the Seattle area.

Don't drive north through Seattle on a Sunday evening, whatever you do!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Idaho/Oregon Scenice Byways

Silver Falls State Park outside of Salem is a quick stop that will delight all ages, too. You would only need to spend 45 min. there as a drive by.

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Idaho/Oregon Scenice Byways

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, we have seen the sights of Washington on previous trips and will visit it again on another trip(s).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Idaho/Oregon Scenice Byways

If you do decide to go west into Oregon, I'd suggest you take Hwy 26 west and check out the John Day Fossil Beds Nat'l Monument. There is a very good [free] museum there, and your 4 year old will enjoy it as it's very colorful with lots of dioramas. The nearby tiny town of Dayville has a lovely little 7 space RV park with lots of nice lawns and full hookups for only $25/night. It's called Fish House Inn and RV.

Farther west along Hwy 26 is the Painted Hills unit of John Day Fossil Beds and that is well worth a stop. Prineville, only 20 minutes from Bend, has a pleasant RV park with nice trees, again $25/night - that's the Crook County RV park.

There is a shoe tree just a few miles east of Bend, and I can give you exact directions to it if you're interested.

The big State Fair in Salem will be going Aug 27 to Sept 6 -- you might enjoy that!

http://www.oregonstatefair.org/

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Idaho/Oregon Scenice Byways

Ha ha, drive east to Oregon... whoops! You saw it, Half-brit.

I agree about the John Day. Cool place!

Sechelt, BC
Level Contributor
746 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Idaho/Oregon Scenice Byways

I knew you meant west but didn't want to correct you.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Idaho/Oregon Scenice Byways

Truth be told, I didn't even see the "east", ainwa! I was concentrating on what to see along Hwy 26 ;-)

8. Re: Idaho/Oregon Scenice Byways

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 December 2010, 06:17