We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Las Vegas to Yosemite

Malta
Level Contributor
446 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
From Las Vegas to Yosemite

Hello all

As part of our 20 day trip, we plan to drive from Las Vegas to Yosemite, via Death Valley, Hwy 395 and Tioga Pass. I know it is a very long drive, but we both drive and plan to leave VERY early.

My question is this- Are there enough service stations on the way. Where would be the best to stop? We plan to stop only for refill, both for the car and us!

Thank you all for your help

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,853 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Las Vegas to Yosemite

Of course, it depends on what kind of car and mileage you have. Also, you might want to consult the Death Valley forum.

My thoughts: With a reasonably efficient car, you should be able to make it to Lone Pine on a tank, then the rest of the way to Yoesmite Valley. It might be a good idea to top off the tank in Death Valley and in Mammoth Lakes to be on the safe side.

Bottom line: I think you'll be fine.

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,922 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Las Vegas to Yosemite

You'll be on interstate or state highways the whole way - but which route are you taking? The gas stations are sometimes spaced out at a distance. I think it's best to just have a conservative plan.

Are you taking the more interesting/scenic route over the 190 (which is more miles) or the sidetrip-off-I-15 route?

Either way, you'll get into the rhythm of it. If you leave Vegas with a full tank, you should make it to Stovepipe Wells for gas in most vehicles (either route), You could, after filling up at Stovepipe, MAYBE make it to Crane Flat in Yosemite, *but you'd be close to empty in many cars* - so gas up in Lee Vining (there are no gas stations in Yosemite Valley or Tuolumne Meadows).

There is almost always gas in the park (at Crane Flats). Again, there is no gas in the Valley. If you gassed up at Lee Vining, it won't matter if the gas station at Crane Flat is closed or runs out of gas (which has happened a couple of times, usually during fire season). That's why you need to fill up in Lee Vining.

Would be a real bummer to try and make it to Crane Flat and find it out of gas and be on empty at that point.

What time of year? By the end of September, you'll have about 12 hours of light. If you leave Vegas before dawn (maybe 6 a.m.), and you take two 15 minute gas breaks, you will be arriving Yosemite Village (if that's the part of Yosemite you're going to) at around 6 pm - but the sun won't have gone down yet. To the park boundary (if that's what you mean by Yosemite), it's slightly less than 11 hours, at least the way I drive (slightly over the speed limit, I admit it).

Happy Trails!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Las Vegas to Yosemite

Fuel in Death Valley is very expensive. You easily can make it from Las Vegas to Lone Pine but to be sure, refill in Pahrump before entering Death Valley if that's the route you take. Also will be fastest: Las Vegas-Pahrump-via Death Valley (190 and last part 136 to Lone Pine). Then refill Lee Vining.

I won't judge your plans but it would not be my pick to drive in one day. You'll be driving Tioga pass with the low sun in front of you. So much nicer to drive it in the morning and stay Lee Vining (or Mammoth, or June Lake) before. You are rushing through one of the finest drives in the country.

Tet

Malta
Level Contributor
446 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Las Vegas to Yosemite

Thank you all for the valuable information.

I will fill in the details of our trip. We will be travelling on the 31st of August. Our hired car is an intermediate SUV. We plan to drive via 190, 136, 395 and 120 and will be staying at the Yosemite Cedar Lodge in El Portal.

Any other inforamtion and comments are most welcome.

One last question: Will I be able to fill up from near our accomodation?

Thank you again.

Malta
Level Contributor
446 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Las Vegas to Yosemite

Thank you Tet14 for your valuable comments. I know that this is not ideal but something had to give and this is it! Wish me luck!! Any additional information is most welcome.

Our trip will take us down Hwy 1 on two days with a stop at Moonstone Beach Drive, than on to Anaheim, a drive to the Grand Canyon from Anaheim, from the Grand Canyon to Las Vegas, from Las Vegas to Yosemite and finally back to San Francisco International Airport.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Las Vegas to Yosemite

Good Luck! You are going to visit one of the most scenic parts of the world. Enjoy!

Tet

7. Re: From Las Vegas to Yosemite

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 05:17