We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

California/Oregon trip report

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
California/Oregon trip report

We saw an amazing amount on our ten day trip up the California coast to Crater Lake and back down the east side of the Sierras. Thanks to all the DEs and others who gave me advice when I was planning our trip.

Day one - we left a day earlier than originally planned and drove four hours to Needles, CA. Doing so let us avoid rush hour across Phoenix and get all the way to the coast on Monday, plus we didn't have to stress over last minute packing. Stayed at the Best Western Colorado River Inn, which we decided tied for worst of the chain hotels we stayed in.

Day two - we got an early start across California. Took a break for a sit down dinner in Tehachapi, got to Cambria around five. Checked in to the Sand Pebbles Inn (wonderful place) and headed to the beach, where we saw sea otters and seals and we needed jackets and windbreakers! Ended up eating a late picnic supper in our room.

Day three - Enjoyed the hotel's scones and pastries for breakfast, packed the car and walked the beach the other way. Glad we did because otherwise we would have missed the sea lions! One even swam close to check us out. Headed up highway one, stopped to gawk at the elephant seals, ate lunch at the grill at Ragged Point (slow, so-so food), walked to the waterfall overlook at Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, got to Point Lobos late aftenoon.

Point Lobos was wonderful! We saw humpback whales and then found a cove where the sea otters were eating right in front of us.

Tore ourselves away just before sunset for a late picnic supper and found our way to Butterfly Grove Inn. Sorry we didn't have time/daylight to explore Pacific Grove.

Day four - Spent about five hours in the Monterey Bay Aquarium, including a windowside seat for lunch in the restaurant. Liked the aquarium but not quite as special as we expected. Slow, slow trip up highway one to San Francisco. Stopped to walk out on the Golden Gate Bridge (needed all our layers) then to Travelodge in Mill Valley, again eating picnic supper in our motel room - we didn't want to get back in the car to find supper. Travelodge tied for worst hotel.

Day five - took the scenic route to Point Reyes National Seashore. Walked the earthquake trail, picnicked, drove to the lighthouse, did all the steps (thank goodness for knee braces!), back to the beach for another hike, excellent dinner at Station Cafe in Point Reyes Station, more twisty turny driving to Bodega Bay.

Day six - Were informed that highway one to Fort Bragg would take five to six hours so took advice to head inland to 101. Still took all day to get to Avenue of the Giants. Stopped at the visitor center, drove aways off the avenue to see tall trees, had picnic supper, got to Fortuna before dark. Nice Best Western, finally got to check my email!

Day seven - continued north to Redwood National Park. Stopped at visitor center, hiked at Ladybird Johnson Grove, took long hike from Prairie Creek visitor center, drove to Crescent City where our motel was on the beach. Dinner in Beachcomber restaurant included appetizer and dessert, which was good because we were hungry!

Day eight - said goodbye to the redwoods, drove to Crater Lake (now I've been in all the contiguous states except Alabama). Sun was shining, lake was blue, we just wandered around and looked at the lake. Dinner at the grill - would have had to wait till 9pm to eat at the lodge! Nice easy drive to Klamath Falls, where the Best Western Olympic Inn greeted us with milk and cookies! Best chain motel of our trip.

Day nine - after a great breakfast headed to Lava Bed National Monument. Walked the improved cave, very different from the one near Flagstaff. Glad we entered from the north because the road out the south was in very poor condition. Took 395 to Reno where we spent the night.

Day ten - changed plans, decided to skip Lake Tahoe. Drove to Mono Lake, stopped at the visitor center and then took Tioga Pass into Yosemite. Absolutely amazing! Also crowded, hard to find parking, ended up eating lunch on a rock by the river. Back over the pass (scarier heading out) and on south to Bishop. Okay but not great dinner at Jack's.

Day eleven - we had thought about taking another day to get home but we were ready to be done traveling. Decided we didn't want to drive around LA so headed east to Joshua Tree. Mistake!

Construction, very slow driving. Stopped for a brief walk in the park, got back to Mesa about nine pm.

I left a lot out, but this is too long already. I'd be happy to answer questions.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
66,759 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: California/Oregon trip report

This sounds like a wonderful trip, full of the same kinds of things I like to do. I love how often you had picnic dinners.

I agree with your description of the Monterey Aquarium ~ it was nice but not quite as special as we had expected. But we only stayed two hours ~ too many tourists with cameras crowding around the displays.

Whales at Point Lobos ~ how lucky!

We like Lava Bed NM, and we seem to find gravel roads everywhere we go.

Thanks for a great report!

Israel
Level Contributor
417 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: California/Oregon trip report

Thanks for sharing the report. It wasn't too long for me - I could have gone on reading for much longer!

Los Angeles
Destination Expert
for Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
10,995 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: California/Oregon trip report

How'd the family like the redwoods? Was it enough time? Did you do Trees of Mystery or any other tourist stops?

Great trip - I too like your approach to picnicking. Glad you got to see the wildlife in Cambria - it doesn't always work out that way, very cool.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: California/Oregon trip report

We really liked the redwoods. No, we didn't stop at Tree of Mystery (only found out about the canopy ride afterwards or we might have) or any other commercial place. We had adequate time although could have used more. We knew we were covering a lot of territory but we had specific objectives for each day and that worked out pretty well.

Although we usually travel with a cooler and picnic supplies to save time and money, we didn't intend to have supper in our hotel room, but once we got to our motel we didn't want to drive again.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
23,422 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: California/Oregon trip report

May I ask a stupid question? How did you manage to fix a picnic supper in your hotel room? When we've needed to do this, we've been reduced to eating ready made up sandwiches purchased from somewhere else, or snack on chips etc and drinks. From our experience, most motel rooms we've encountered in the US have a fridge, sink and counter (with a basic coffee maker and cheap quality ingredients) but no utensils or flatware to prepare anything, and flying in from the UK, we don't carry any of the missing stuff with us. Perhaps there are motel chains we've never happened upon that always provide better facilities?

SWT

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: California/Oregon trip report

We carried a basket (actually a small square laundry basket) with paper plates, cups, utensils, etc in ziplock bags, bread, peanut butter, granola bars, and a cooler with cheese, hard boiled eggs, cut up veggies and beverages along with us. Usually stayed in the car overnight but if we were eating in our room they came in with us. It really helped our budget to eat motel breakfasts and to picnic once a day.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
23,422 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: California/Oregon trip report

Thanks for prompt response. Yes, bringing your own fixings does help. We 'won' a cooler on one trip - a free gift with a purchased six pack of sodas! Usually, we just improvise.

I share your disappointment with Travelodges - assuming they're the same UK-based chain - as we've decided to pass on them, whatever our budget after a couple of seriously disappointing experiences.

I see you're the DE for Tempe. Know Phoenix/Scottsdale well as DH worked there on and off for a while, but, as far as I''m aware the only time I went to Tempe proper was for an AZ Cardinals game!

SWT

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: California/Oregon trip report

Thanks so much for sharing your trip report! That gives me lots of great ideas!

9. Re: California/Oregon trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2011, 05:17