We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabins & Camp Kitchens at RV Parks?

Melb
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Topic
Cabins & Camp Kitchens at RV Parks?

Here in Oz, most caravan parks will have a camp kitchen (a kitchen anyone staying in the park can use) along with general purpose BBQ's. They also usually have either caravans or cabins you can stay in. Do U.S. RV parks have cabins (or on-site vans) and camp kitchens?

What I'm trying to determine is, If touring by car (as oposed to a RV), are there any options other than Motels. This is for a family of 4 (2A 2C). It's usually much harder to get a motel room suitable for a family rather than a couple.

Cheers, Nige

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabins & Camp Kitchens at RV Parks?

I'm not an RV expert by any means, but I'll share what I know... Not at all familiar with the shared kitchen concept. There is a good chance you'll find a BBQ grill available, though.

Cabins at campgrounds tend to be very small and utilitarian. Do some research on KOA to see what amenities are avaialable.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabins & Camp Kitchens at RV Parks?

Hi HCMonaro

Generally the answer is no for the concept you are looking for. We have a similar set up here in Kiwiland where there is a communial kitchen but we have also travelled in US and I can't say any of the camps we stayed in had that. Some have cabins in one form or another but generally they have a hot plate and/or fridge or you eat out - very big in US to eat out compared to Aussie or NZ which goes more for the self catering.

If you want to do the self catering thing then RV or tent camping is what you are looking for unless you hire a car and then motel it. Another thing to consider is where are you thinking of travelling?

Personally I like the RV style of travel but there are many on the forum who do it the other way (car and motel). My reason for RV travel are - only have to unpack once, food/drinks on hand all time (have teenagers - explains alot) loos aka toilet available all the time (handy with kids) and generally we get to stay in the national/state/provincial parks which is what we came to see. Draw back - no cheaper than car/motels combination, you have to tidy up and unplug before you move, they are bigger to drive and cost more in gas. But hanging out with the kids, going to bed the same time as them, having campfires and cooking marshmallow etc is all part of the trip.

If you want info on RV parks and RV companies contact me through the private message facility - will give you any info I have that way rather than clogging up the TA site.

We are onto our third trip by RV next July - kids can't wait - we are doing the Canadian Rockies/Glacier/Tetons and Yellowstone - hubby and kid are talking about feeding me to the wildlife - nice I must say!

cheers

Kiwi

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabins & Camp Kitchens at RV Parks?

>> Do U.S. RV parks have cabins (or on-site vans) and camp kitchens? <<

Camp kitchens, no. I'm a long time RVer and do not believe I have ever seen one. They will often have BBQ's.

Cabins, yes. However, they vary widely from the basic KOA kamping kabins to cabins with most of the comforts of home. Look at www.koa.com for more info and examples.

Where are you travelling?

Many mid range motels have both refrigerators and microwaves in the rooms plus the standard coffee makers of course. Many serve some sort of free breakfast which ranges from a simple continental to a full hot buffet. You can also buy a cheap cooler (esky) for packing sandwich supplies - all motels will have an ice machine.

Melb
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabins & Camp Kitchens at RV Parks?

Thanks... all good info! Sounds like we better work on Plan 'B' :)

We are wanting to avoid 'eating out' for 6 straight weeks! This is not a cost issue, but a choice of diet thing. Our kids are somewhat fussy and we don't want them eating chips every meal! We'll be making our own breakfast (ceral) and lunch (sandwiches) when possible.

Maybe you have some idea as to our basic dilema.

We are planning to go from SF to Denver via Yosemite, Death Valley, Grand Canyon and several Utah parks during the middle two weeks of April (I have another thread asking some details about this). All the RV hire webpages I read they state no 'unpaved roads' allowed but many of these parks seem to have unpaved entry roads and tourist drives. Do those count as 'unpaved roads' to the RV company and thus your insurance. If these are a no-no, then we thought we'd hire a car/SUV and use a combination of cabins and motels using an esky (cooler) to keep some food fresh.

Cheers, Nige

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabins & Camp Kitchens at RV Parks?

Hi Nig

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabins & Camp Kitchens at RV Parks?

Hi Nige

Check with the RV company re the unpaved road thing - we are going with Cruise America this time - and I was worried re that as some of the places we wanted to go had 'dirt' roads. So I asked them - I can't find the answer in my e-mail box but basically they indicated that as long as the road did not have a sign saying no RV's it was okay.

But check and check the fine print on the contract.

Are you traveling in the RV for the whole 6 weeks for just two weeks in April? If it is only two weeks in April SF to Denver via Yosemite, DV, GC and parks in Utah is doable but you will be moving. Plus in April you will not get over the Tioga Pass from Yosemite into Owen's Valley - you will have to go the long way around to get to DV. A park that is really interesting and out of the way but great if you are in a RV is Goblin Valley - a definite for an overnight stop.

cheers

Kiwi

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,450 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabins & Camp Kitchens at RV Parks?

Hi Nige

As you have said some of the reason for wanting to camp or use an RV is to be able to self cater all meals, it might be useful for you to know that you can still actually self cater while staying in motels. As half-Brit said, many motel rooms - do check before booking - have basic facilities for warming or chilling food. In the USA there's another type of accommodation called and efficiency - not widely advertised for reasons I know not - which have much more of a mini kitchen, and sometimes even a full kitchen. They are often, especially if booked early, not very different in price from standard motel rooms. (They're more akin to the NZ motels where you find a mini kitchenette.)

Also, many of the larger supermarkets have a significant deli and fast food area (no, not just burgers) where you can buy a lot of semi prepared foods ready for self catering, but with a larger choice of interesting and healthy options. This can help reduce the need for a proper kitchen at all your stops.

Hope this helps your quandary,

SWT

PS for 4kiwis: We're in the process of shopping around for our RV for Aug/Sep next year in NV!

Edited: 29 September 2010, 11:28
Melb
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabins & Camp Kitchens at RV Parks?

Hi Kiwi,

You are a wealth of knowledge! thanks! We are only RVing for those two weeks although I'm trying to rejig the rest of our itinerary to add a few days to it. Even pickup/drop off times impact on the schedule! Have been reading a book with Goblin Valley in it and had noted it as a possible stop. We really want to drive thry Monument Valley so still working out that section. Were intending to go via Tioga Pass but saw that it won't be open so will go south. We've actually driven (in a car) from LV to SF via DV & Yosemite (not thru Tioga.. it was closed that time too) before so have a little bit of experience.

SWT, Hi to you too & thanks for that info too.

This is all so complicated... maybe we should just hook up our camper and do another lap of Oz!!!

Cheers, Nige

St. Louis
Destination Expert
for Saint Louis
Level Contributor
2,854 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabins & Camp Kitchens at RV Parks?

Nige - Don't give up!! If the RV option is too complicated, do the motel/drive option. You'll be in the off-season, basically, making it even easier to work out the hotel options. You've got an incredible trip planned and you'll be so glad you did it.

On the other hand, I've never travelled to the other side of the world....;-)

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cabins & Camp Kitchens at RV Parks?

Hi All

Just remembered something when our KOA camping card arrived today - check out the different RV renters - see if the offer discount for KOA or Good Sam members. This time we are going with Cruise America (basically the had the right van in the right place at the right price - didn't need TV/Satalite etc) BUT what they did have was a 10% discount with a KOA card. So hubby looked into how much for a KOA - think it cost about $24 dollars (not sure if that was US or NZ). But it save us over $600. Not a bad little investment.

I am sure other RV hire companies have these little deals hidden somewhere in the fine print - worth looking for.

cheers

Kiwi

P.S. Nige - put on the good weather please - I know you are in Melbourne but I am heading to Gold Coast tomorrow - so please put in a good word for me - I am at a conference but plan to spend some time down at the beach weather permitting