We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good kid jornals or books for a road trip

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
283 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Good kid jornals or books for a road trip

We will be taking our first road trip next summer. Looking for some books for the kids, they will be 7 1/2, 10 & 11 1/2. I found one or two on Amazon, but there were not any reviews. If anyone has a great journal, map, or activity book they like, please let me know. I have seen some in the past, but now that I am looking for one, I can't seem to find them.

We will be traveling from Oklahoma to Mt. Rushmore to yellowstone to Grand Canyon & home.

thanks so much!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good kid jornals or books for a road trip

Have a look on the National Geographic website ... they have some fantastic books which I order on-line.

As we approached a new state, we always popped into the travel center and as well as maps and other information, we got those coupon books -- it was the kids job to go through the coupon book to find a hotel for the night. It became a game to them and saved us worrying about it.

pa
Level Contributor
147 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good kid jornals or books for a road trip

Future readers might like to know something we try to do. We find books related to where we are traveling. One for the Grand Canyon for kids was written decades ago about a mule that lives in the Canyon.I think his name (and the title) is Brighty. Try a library as they often keep kids books for long times. Reading some stories ahead of time can help kids develop a desire to visit. Our experiences began with reading about the swan who flew into the Philadelphia zoo. So many neat books that other websites might be able to help you find them. My guys are teens and it gets a little tougher.

pa
Level Contributor
147 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good kid jornals or books for a road trip

Oh, one more thought.. if your kids want to read on the drive, often the national park gift shops have good children's books (adult books too) that are about the places you are visiting.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
283 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good kid jornals or books for a road trip

Thanks So much for the ideas! Kids are getting excited, only four mOnths until we will be on vacation! Can't wait!

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
6,692 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good kid jornals or books for a road trip

There is an entire series of books by G. Skurzynski and A. Ferguson, Mysteries in our National Parks. Great to read before or after you visit a park. There are 11 or 12. My NP exploring boys love them.

Wolf Stalker book #1 is the Yellowstone and Over the Edge is Grand Canyon.

6. Re: Good kid jornals or books for a road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 March 2012, 06:16