We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip Phoenix to LA

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
824 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip Phoenix to LA

We are a couple from Aus and will be spending about a month in the US, part of which will be spent in Florida but the 2nd part is what I would like some feedback on. Trip is not until Sept 2012

Day 1 - fly into Phoenix and pick up car, stay the night in either Phoenix or Sedona

Day 2 - drive from Phoenix or Sedona the Grand Canyon South Rim and stay the night

Day 3- drive to Las Vegas for 2 nights

Day 5 - drive from Las Vegas to Mammoth Lakes via Death Valley and stay the night

Day 6 - drive into Yosemite National Park and possibly stay the night

Day 7 - Drive to San Francisco, drop the car and stay for 3 nights

Day 10 - hire another car and drive Highway 1 to La staying either one or two nights on the way.

OR

the other option is to fly directly to Las Vegas and stay there an extra night and do a flight to Grand Canyon and then return to LV and continue on from Day 5???

Any and all feedback would be appreciated as we have never been to US before.

Thanks,

Karen

Edited: 04 March 2011, 04:13
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip Phoenix to LA

Hi

I'd fly Phoenix and visit Sedona and GC from there. Taking tours from Las Vegas will take 8hours (by plane to and fro incl. rim time)) or 14 hours (by bus) but you'll miss sunset and sunrise at the rim and you'll miss lovely Sedona. Sunset and sunrise are the highlights in GCNP.

As you have time to do your planning I strongly suggest to take more time between Phoenix and San Francisco.

Often no drop off costs for the rental between Az and Ca. but not sure if you change cars. Those non drop off fees often only for longer rentals so maybe keep the car in SF. We love to drive in SF. An unique experience with those very steep hills but parkingcosts are high. Maybe find an hotel that has free parking. In any case, if you have a car, try Lombard Street.

In an ideal world I'd do this:

1. Arrive Phoenix, p/u rental car (very easy in Phx) and drive to Sedona. Depends on your arrival time but you're coming from Florida before so less jetjag. Phx to Sedona only is a 2 hours drive.

2. Sedona

3. Sedona to GC Village via its east entrance first (via Flagstaff and Cameron)

4. GCNP

5. GCNP to Las vegas. Take your time and drive parts of R66 and visit Hoover Dam and the New Bridge.

6. Las Vegas

7. Las Vegas to Death Valley. Explore DV and stay overnight. Stargazing will be amazing and sunset/sunrise also is the best time in DV.

8. DV via us395 to Mammoth Lakes or Lee Vining. Plenty of places to visit and an awesome drive.

9. Mammoth Lakes to Yosemite. Drive over Tioga Pass in the morning with the sun behind you.

10. Yosemite NP

11. Yosemite NP to San Francisco via 140 or 120

12.13: San Francisco

14. SF to Monterey via Santa Cruz.

15. Monterey to Cambria along hw1. Great drive and many stops. Visit Hearst Castle.

16: Cambria to Los Angeles.

If this is too long I'd skip a night in GCNP and between SF and LA.

Happy planning.

Tet

Netherlands
Level Contributor
123 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip Phoenix to LA

Hi KazAllen

Indeed! I can only agree with Tet. Take a little more time, and Tet's plan is doable and well balanced.

Keep on planning!

3. Re: Road Trip Phoenix to LA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 18:18