We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My RoadTrip in NothernWest USA

St-lambert
Level Contributor
937 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
My RoadTrip in NothernWest USA

Hello

I want to visit Yellowstone Park, Grand Teton Park, then drive West to Oregon Coast, then stop in Portland. I am from Canada, looking for the best town to land/leave by plane to avoid oneway rental cost fees, I did my research, and found I will have to rent the car and return it to the same city. I'm thinking for 16 days vacation, 3 days in YNP area, for sure 3 days in Portland over a weekend. Any suggestions for route to take is more then welcome. This is my first visit in this area.

Merci

Sylvain

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My RoadTrip in NothernWest USA

Hi

Why not fly Portland and make a loop from there? So Portland-Portland. 12 days is enough to make a loop from Portland to GTNP and Yellowstone and back via Washington. Maybe even add Glacier NP in summer. With 4 days for the commutes you'll have 8 days to explore GTNP/Yell/Glacier. You'll then have another 3-4 days for Portland. Maybe hit the destination forums for more info

Maybe this route:

1. Portland-Boise (Id)

2. Boise-Jackson (GTNP)

3,4,5,6,7: GTNP/Yell

8. Drive to East Glacier

9.10: Glacier ending at Glaciers west side

11.12: Back to Portland.

Good luck

Tet

St-lambert
Level Contributor
937 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My RoadTrip in NothernWest USA

Hello

I thought about that, but I do want to drive along the Oregon Coast.

Merci

Sylvain

St-lambert
Level Contributor
937 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My RoadTrip in NothernWest USA

Hello

What if I do

1. Drive Portland to Boise, via scenic roads

2. Drive Boise to WestYellowStone, what about Grand Teton Park ?

3. Vist YellowStone Park

4. Visit YellowStone Park

5. Drive to Spokane, what to see/visit ?

6.Drive Spokane to Portland, wich road, and sightseeing ?

7,8,9, Portland

10,11,12,13, drive Oregon Coast

14, back to Portland

15 Portland

16 Fly out

What should I visit for the drive WestYellowstone to Spokane ?

What should I visit from Spokane to Portlan ?

Merci

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My RoadTrip in NothernWest USA

Between Portland and Boise I'd take the interstate. Scenic enough and it's already 7+ hours to get to Boise from Portland. I'd make a stop at the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center near Baker on your way. From Boise it's 6-7 hours to get to Jackson Wyoming. You could leave I84 in Mountain Home and drive us20 to Arco via Craters of the Moon NM. but this will add several hours. Jackson is at the entrance of Grand Teton NP and is a nice town to spend the night. I then would take all day for GTNP and make my way to Yellowstone. 2 full days already will be short in Yell.

So maybe:

1. Portland-Boise

2. Boise-Jackson

3. Jackson-Yellowstone.

4,5: Yell

6. Drive to Spokane.

If you want to drive back to Portland via Spokane, best imo would be to spend last night for the Yell-Spokane commute in West Yellowstone or Gardiner. To Spokane from there will be 7-8 hours. I have not been on the direct drive between Spokane and Portland so can't tell you about it.

Best is to post questions for things to do on the Washington and Oregon forums. Don't miss Columbia River Gorge east of Portland.

Tet

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
Level Contributor
6,343 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My RoadTrip in NothernWest USA

There's a nice, old road that follows the interstate east of Portland. Multnomah Highway, I believe it's called. It was originally built in the 1930's by the WPA (not sure if you're familiar with that, but it's sort of drilled into the head of every American). Anyway, that will take you to Multnomah Falls, which is an absolute must-see east of Portland.

After that, get off the interstate, maybe at La Grande, and take back roads to Joseph City. Cute little town in a really beautiful setting. Then continue on the back road through Hells Canyon to join with Oregon 86, crossing the Snake River, then following US 95 south back to I-84. If you're not comfortable with mountain driving though, then don't do this, because the road through Hells Canyon is a little rough. But it's a gorgeous drive.

It's a shame you're just skipping through Boise, because it's a great city. I really like Spokane but, when pressed, I would choose Boise over Spokane.

Spokane's big attraction is the waterfall. It's actually quite dramatic, even when coming from the monster Multnomah Falls. The Downtown area is nice, there's the cute Garland District just north of Downtown, there are a couple of wineries just outside of town, and there's actually some nice hiking along the Spokane River just west of the city.

Spokane - Portland, try to first swing south along US 195 toward Walla Walla. I don't know when you're doing this exactly, but that will take you through the Palouse, which is especially dramatic throughout the late spring and early summer. Really nothing else like it in the world and it's pretty breathtaking at times when it's all green and the sun hits it right. There are quite a few great wineries around Prosser, but that may be too much for you. Also wineries around Walla Walla, which is a really nice town.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My RoadTrip in NothernWest USA

colinaaz,

I think your first paragraph refers to the Columbia River Highway, the one with Crown Point on it, on your way to Multnomah Falls.

It does have some wonderful original stretches of the original highway - there isn't much of it left. Just from Troutdale to just East of Multnomah Falls. But it's worth a nice afternoon of driving and stopping by the falls and admiring the old stonework that can still be seen.

Oh - and it wasn't built by the WPA, it pre-dates that as it was finished in 1922. It was spear-headed by Sam Hill of Maryhill fame. There is a great history of the highway here: columbiariverhighway.com/columbia_river_high…

There is a documentary that ran on public TV over 10 years ago, about the road and Sam Hil. I have yet to see it online, but I would love to see it again someday.

7. Re: My RoadTrip in NothernWest USA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 12:19