We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phoenix to LA road trip. Can anyone give some advice? Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Phoenix to LA road trip. Can anyone give some advice? Thanks

Hello.

I used this site to plan a trip to Japan last year and the advice I received was fantastic so I thought it would be a good idea to pick your brains regarding our USA west coast roadtrip plan.....

There will be two of us travelling.

We will be flying from London and landing in Phoenix, staying there for a couple of days then driving to Las Vegas, San Francisco and LA. Not sure of much else so plenty of blanks to fill in.

Is it best to hire a car in Phoenix and drop it off in LA before flying back from there rather than driving back to Phoenix and flying back from there?

We are quite laid back as regards trying to map out every detail of the trip and quite like the idea of stopping off for three instead of two days at any given point. However we want to see some of the must see attractions too. Your thoughts and experiences would be gratefully received here.With this slightly freeform approach I'm guessing it would be best to book accomodation as we go. If however anyone has strong views to the contrary on this point please let me know.

The other question is which airline would be best to use, price and comfort wise.

That's all I can think of for now. Many thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Phoenix to LA road trip. Can anyone give some advice? Thanks

That's great. I don't know anything about lee vining, is this a destination or a pass through?

The advice here from you all is very helpful. I'm getting my trip together in my mind. And here's what I have in terms of an outline.

2 days in phoenix

2 days in las Vegas ( or at least based there. The nightlife is the attraction there though)

2 days in san Francisco.

The rest of the time will be spent getting from point to point with the following places woven in.

Bodie

Grand canyon

Sedona.

With the above definate what else can be included from the recomendations from my friends above, comfortably, into the rest of the trip?

I'm also curious as to whether it is worth hiring a car from somewhere in the city once we arrive in phoenix as opposed to getting it from the airport.

Many thanks as always.

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Phoenix to LA road trip. Can anyone give some advice? Thanks

That's great. I don't know anything about lee vining, is this a destination or a pass through?

The advice here from you all is very helpful. I'm getting my trip together in my mind. And here's what I have in terms of an outline.

2 days in phoenix

2 days in las Vegas ( or at least based there. The nightlife is the attraction there though)

2 days in san Francisco.

The rest of the time will be spent getting from point to point with the following places woven in.

Bodie

Grand canyon

Sedona.

With the above definate what else can be included from the recomendations from my friends above, comfortably, into the rest of the trip?

I'm also curious as to whether it is worth hiring a car from somewhere in the city once we arrive in phoenix as opposed to getting it from the airport.

Many thanks as always.

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Phoenix to LA road trip. Can anyone give some advice? Thanks

2 days in phoenix

2 days in san Francisco.

Bodie

Grand canyon

Sedona.

Many thanks as always.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Phoenix to LA road trip. Can anyone give some advice? Thanks

Lee Vining is a tiny place near beautiful Mono Lake. And Tioga Pass rd is starting from here. It has a famous places for food. Whoa Nellie Deli at the Tioga Mart gasstation. Bodie is unique. Getting a car from Sky Harbor is more expensive allright but a lot easier. The shuttle will bring you to the carrentalcenter where all companies are gathered. Picking up the car from another place will bring costs for the taxi. I'd stick to the main rental location.

Tet

Laguna Hills...
Level Contributor
342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Phoenix to LA road trip. Can anyone give some advice? Thanks

We just got back from AZ & I have a few recommendations along the way:

Between phoenix & Sedona, stop at Montezumas Castle-

http://www.nps.gov/moca/index.htm

It's right on the way & well worth a stop.

Between Sedona & GC go to Wukapti-

http://www.nps.gov/wupa/index.htm

We also really enjoyed Meteor Crater, although it's about a 35 mile detour-

http://www.meteorcrater.com/

Outside the east entrance to GCNP is Little Colorado River Gorge, with some great views-

navajonationparks.org/htm/littlecolorado.htm

I also second (or is it third?) the Bodie suggestion. This is a true ghost town in a very eerie setting. be sure to check out the graveyard there, too.

Along the CA coast, stop & see the elephant seals just north of San Simeon.

16. Re: Phoenix to LA road trip. Can anyone give some advice? Thanks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 02:19