We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lexington KY to Washington DC

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
lexington KY to Washington DC

Husband has asked if we can fit DC into our itinary. Hm, asked him this a while back but got know response. With cutting a day here & there from other places, have managed to alot him 2 nights.

What would be the best/easiest driving route from Lexington KY to DC with a nice midway stop. Google is showing me 3 possibles, our original route using Int 79 that we were going to use to Morgantown then Harpers Ferry/ one that cuts across from Weston WV or the Int 64/81 route from Charleston WV.

We will now go to Harpers Ferry & Gettysburg after Washington.

Been to DC before & did most of the sites so a couple of nights would do to fit in what he wants to visit.

Thanks

Bertha aka Rettie

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lexington KY to Washington DC

This was a nice trip between DC and Lexington we took but it's certainly not a one days drive:

Lexington-Maysville (nice down town)-into Ohio along Ohio River to Portsmouth (don't miss the wall of murals)-we then drove to Athens OH-into WV to Parkersburg and stayed Morgantown. Next day we drove I68 into MD, a great interstate drive, stopped at Sideling Hill exibit center (visitor center closed)-to Antietam and on to DC.

Not the fastest drive between Lexington and DC but it made a leisurely trip for us.

Tet

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lexington KY to Washington DC

Thanks for the idea but we will have already been in Ohio..

Done some reading today on the Beckley/Lewisburg area of WV & looks a nice area to stop, so now leaning towards the In 63/81 route, it looks like it takes us right into Alexandria & close to the George Washington Memorial Library that my husband wants to visit.

Bertha

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lexington KY to Washington DC

Do you mean I64? We have not done but what we have seen of WV all looked lovely. Hope you'll write a tripreport abouth that stretch. Thanks.

Tet

4. Re: lexington KY to Washington DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 20:16