We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cosmos Route 66 Tour

Brisbane, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Cosmos Route 66 Tour

Hi look l have posted here before but did not get an answer so just wondering as myself and my father are doing,Cosmos route 66 tour this September!!! We live in Australia and this will be my fathers first time visiting America my second time have previously been to Los Angeles,Las Vegas and LOVED IT. But this is our first Cosmos Tour so would like a bit of information if anyone else has down a previous tour? PLEASE as we are really looking forward to ou visit!!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
10,044 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cosmos Route 66 Tour

I have not done that tour but I have driven parts of Route 66, and a friend of mine did the entire route once (even though some parts of the original Route 66 are no longer useable and you must use Interstate highways for some sections). Personally I believe the best section of Route 66 is that through New Mexico and Arizona. If you wanted to, you could just rent a car and drive yourself through these areas, and there are web sites about Route 66 that you can use as guides. However after reading the description of the tour you are going to take, I think it sounds like they pack a lot in to the tour and the little side trips add a lot of interest and value. To have it all organized and planned for you has the advantage of making it much easier for you, but the disadvantage of making it less spontaneous and adventurous. I suspect that the helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon might be a disappointment for what you pay for it; and viewing the Grand Canyon from the many viewpoints on the rim may be just as satisfying. I personally don't care for Las Vegas much and the option of taking a rafting trip instead is much more appealing, though if you say you love Las Vegas, then go for it. I wouldn't do the add-on option to fly from Los Angeles to San Francisco; if you want to see San Francisco, the drive along the coast is the way to go instead of flying as the drive is spectacular through Big Sur.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cosmos Route 66 Tour

Bit confused now: tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g1-i12567-k4517767-…

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Cosmos Route 66 Tour

Hello, I am looking at doing this tour too in September this year and I am also from Brisbane. Have you found any reviews about it? I can't seem to find any... I'd like to know things like, the age-range of people generally for this tour, how much time is spent in places versus sitting on the bus etc. It looks like a good trip, but some reassurance would be good!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cosmos Route 66 Tour

Think this won't help either Mitch but let's wait and see...

If you decide to drive yourself there's always the Road Trips forums for help:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1-i12567-Road_Tri…

Brisbane, Australia
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Cosmos Route 66 Tour

Hehe thanks for your reply again...

I'm just going to go for it and do it. An experience lost means nothing gained, whether positive or negative!

I'll be sure to post a review at the end.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cosmos Route 66 Tour

Ok, we'll be waiting for that. But you also can do it yourself if you have the time. Maybe read this for information already www.historic66.com

Auckland Region...
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Cosmos Route 66 Tour

Did this Cosmos tour in August 2012. Had a blast. To see the places I had dreamed about for years with out the hassle of having to drive, and just to soak it all up was a very gratifing experience. Quality of the hotels was excellent, our tour guide was informitive and fun, and the optional side tours we choose made it really spectacular (Sandia Tramway and Black Canyon Raft) There were many little extras that made this trip something I won't forget. Just do it.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,091 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cosmos Route 66 Tour

Another newbie necroposting! This is a road trips forum, I'm not at all sure reviews for coach trips are necessarily relevant.

SWT

ireland
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cosmos Route 66 Tour

Hi We are doing this tour next week any ideas suggestions ?

thanks

siobhan

Edited: 18 September 2013, 14:10
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cosmos Route 66 Tour

Siobhan, I look at the tour itinerary, and while you may miss some of what Route 66 has to offer, it seems like a pretty good tour to a lot of fun places, with a decent taste of 66. Looks like you will be at the Best Western Rio Grande Inn in Albuquerque, which is right near Old Town. You can get the Rapid Ride bus from Old Town and it will take you along Central Ave., which is Route 66. There are a number of 66 sites along Central and some good places to eat and a few good pubs too. You might like Two Fools, which is as close as we get to Ireland here in New Mexico. Looks like your hotel in Flagstaff is a good location from which you can walk to some nice areas and along a bit of 66. Have fun.