We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"beat the movers" trip x-country

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
"beat the movers" trip x-country

Looking for suggested stops and sights we might include in a whirlwind trip from Yellowstone to NC.

We have four and a half days to work with to avoid storage fees from the moving co., so there's not much flexibility in schedule unfortunately. This means that stops will be more of the " stretch the legs/casual encounter" type rather than spending hours to explore.

We try to max-out at 400mi/day when we do long trips, and we're travelling in august so we will have longer days to work with.

I'm trying to wade through some of the travel books, but I could sure use some experienced guidance to help speed up my progress.

Thanks

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,594 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "beat the movers" trip x-country

So are you starting in Yellowstone? (Really, I'm sure you're not, lol)

Starting where and ending where? You may find crossing some long stretches you can easily do 500 miles a day especially where speed limits are 75 and there is a straight Interstate. Do you have kids you need to worry about?

Pam

(Last big *beat the movers* trip was Central Florida to N. Idaho! WooHoo!)

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "beat the movers" trip x-country

Well, no, the start point isn't Yellowstone but that's where my dilemma begins. Its our 4th x-country trip so we've hit most of the biggies, its just that I can't find anything interesting to break the monotony so far and since we have to hurry it makes the planning pretty rigid.

No kids this trip- whooppee!, no trailer, just us and the car. And I was reminded that we will need to be averaging about 450 mi/day this time to make the deadline, so whoops on the first post.

Thanks for the feedback....

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,192 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "beat the movers" trip x-country

I thought you folks lived in Sonoma? Does the "NC" stand for Northern California?

If it's North Carolina, that's a long way. I would avoid the Chicago area. Take I-90 east and then follow I-29 down the Missouri. Omaha, Kansas City, St. Louis and Nashville all have interesting places to visit and some great food. The problem is you won't have much time to stop anywhere.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "beat the movers" trip x-country

Hi Super'....no, just a frequent visitor to Sonoma until now. :(

That ship has officially sailed for an undetermined time. Apparently a lot of folks have thought we lived there; someone even asked me if i worked for the tourism trade! That'll teach me to be so free with my opinions! :) Our last trip was in May, and I don't anticipate any more for quite a while.

NC is North Carolina, and yes its a LOOOONG way!

The "not long to stop" is a quandry, but no negotiation with that; movers charge a LOT to "store" your stuff if you aren't ready for them when they arrive.

We need a route as direct as possible....I just need to find some good stretch-of-the-legs types of places along the way so we don't turn to stone from boredom and to give the blood a chance to circulate a little.

We're thinking of St. Louis as a stop-over and maybe Laramie...so if anyone has good restaurant suggestions we'd love to hear them. We don't need fancy food, just well prepared with good service.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,594 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "beat the movers" trip x-country

Have you picked up Devil's Tower and the Badlands on your previous XC trips? They are both pretty near the Interstate.

Pam

Napa, CA
Destination Expert
for Napa
Level Contributor
7,192 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "beat the movers" trip x-country

If you are traveling anytime near the Sturgis Rally (http://www.sturgis.com/), you will probably want to avoid the Devil's Tower and the entire Black Hills area. Hotel rooms will be booked for hundreds of miles around Sturgis and all the sights will be jammed.

St. Louis has great barbecue (as does Kansas City). I haven't been there in a few years but I found a great place by asking locally. Best to ask in the St. Louis forum and other local forums for restaurant recs. If you are interested in history at all, there are a number of very interesting places to visit in the St. Louis area if you have the time.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "beat the movers" trip x-country

OH THANK YOU FOR THE STURGIS REMINDER!!!!! Holy Cow- we got caught in that mess on a previous trip and I didn't even think of it.

Yes, Pam, we did see Devil's Tower and the Badlands on a previous trip and absolutely loved it.

What do y'all know about Laramie, WY? That looks like a reasonable stop from Y'stone.....

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "beat the movers" trip x-country

We once stayed Laramie at the Best Western but were not impressed. Laramie itself is not bad at all and would be good place for an overnight stop. Depends from what part of Yellowstone you'll come. Driving in the Yell/GTNP area can be very time consuming esp. in high season so this can make a very long day (via Moran and Lander). Rawlins is another place to spend the night.

united states
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "beat the movers" trip x-country

Thank you Tet. That's one thing about the Besst Western chain- some are great and some, well, not so great.

So after some discussion, it looks like this is the route we're currently considering: from Y'stone: Laramie ( taking diagonal across WY route) through Nebraska (possible stop-over Milford), to St. Louis, to Huntington, WV and then to Raleigh.

Any comments on lodging or dining in these towns or interesting sights along the way?

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: "beat the movers" trip x-country

One more thing, NC is a long state. Where to in NC? The mountains? OBX, Raleigh? It’s about eight hours between Asheville and OBX, for example. You mentioned Raleigh but is this your final destination? I drove several times from or to MT, WY, SD, ND, CO, UT and through more states to/from NC and stayed in some nice hotels and a few not so nice but without knowing WHERE in NC you're traveling to it is impossible to make any suggestions. Laramie is a great stop, IMO. We stayed very recently in Cheyenne in a very nice Springhill Suites. In WY I recommend taking a drive along Snowy Range Byway to Laramie. From Laramie instead of taking the interstate take the Happy Jack Road to Cheyenne.

Between Laramie and St. Louis Lincoln, NE is a nice stop with less traffic and we really like to stay there in the Residence Inn South. If you're traveling to Raleigh or farther east in NC you won't have much time for sightseeing along the way. Instead of going to WV from St. Louis consider a route south through Nashville, TN, then at least drive though Great Smoky Mountains NP and stay overnight in Asheville, NC. Be prepared for heat and humidity in NC.

When are you traveling? There are still some flooded roadsin NE and to get to Kansas City, you would have to take detour as sections of I-29 are flooded. Check 511 in each state for current road conditions.

http://www.ksdot.org/flood.asp

If there are still floods maybe traveling from Laramie south to KS and then east through KS would be a more logical option. Recently we stayed in a great Holiday Inn Express in Hays, KS. The place is fully non-smoking and no pets. If you stay in Hays then the next day you can travel farther east than St. Louis.