We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Tolls in USA

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Road Tolls in USA

We will be travelling between the following cities.

Philadelphia-Pittsburgh

Pittsburgh-Dearborn

Dearborn-Ludington

Manitowoc- Indianapolis

Indianapolis-Lexington

Lexington-Washington DC

Washington DC to Philadelphia

We know some of the roads will be Toll roads but does anyone know if these roads will have manned Toll Booths, we will be in a rental car & dollar want around $10 per day for the toll pass, as at least half if not more of our trip will be on non toll highways, think $200 for a 20 day trip a bit much, so would prefer to pay as we go.

Thanks

Rettie

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Tolls in USA

$200 seems like way too much money for tolls, but I'm not familiar with all the roads you will be traveling. I'm only familiar with the Manitowac-Indianapolis and Indianapolis-Lexington legs. For that part of the trip, you will only pay tolls in the Chicago area. Google has you going on the Tri State Tollway (94) from the Wisconsin border to the Edens Expressway. On that stretch of road, there are two toll booths and you would pay $.80 at each. Google also recommends that you take the Skyway, another toll road, on your way towards Indiana. I think the toll for the Skyway is $3.50.

I guess you are taking the ferry across Lake Michigan from Ludington to Mantowac, and know that there is a sizable fee for that.

Have a safe trip!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Tolls in USA

$10/day sounds outrageous. You could avoid about half of the Ohio Turnpike by switching to Route 2 at Elyria, west of Cleveland. A good portion of Route 2 is freeway.

Route 2 is much more scenic than the Turnpike. It would take you by Magee Marsh, part of one of the best birding areas on the Great Lakes and famous for its boardwalk. The entire area is a birding hotspot.

www.bsbobird.org/birding/birding_hotspots.htm

www.friendsofmageemarsh.org/birding.php

www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/19778/Default.aspx

The Ohio Turnpike has toll booths. You pay when you exit.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Tolls in USA

Thanks, just what I wanted to know. From what their e-mail said, the $10 included toll charges but I thought it was a bit excessive. I know Hertz charge $2.50 per day per use of the transponder & tolls on top of that which sounds much fairer.

Will just do as we normally do & pay as we go.

Rte 2 sounds good, will look into that.

Rettie

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Tolls in USA

Here in Illinois the transponder will save you very little money for a one time use, but it will allow you to drive straight through without stopping. The cash toll is typically two times the transponder rate for Illinois toll roads, which adds up if you use them daily, but not when you are just passing through. The Skyway is privately run, and the rate is always $3.50. I was mistaken on my first post about the cost for the two toll booths on I-94. I believe the total for both would be $2.50 cash, or $1.25 with the transponder.

I-94 will take you along the western edge of downtown Chicago for some great views of the city, but be prepared - traffic around here can get nasty, especially during rush hour!

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Tolls in USA

If you're interested in Rte. 2, when heading west, exit the Ohio Turnpike (I-80) at exit 145 and head north on state Route 57 a few miles to I-90/Route 2 West. When I-90 shortly diverges from Route 2 to combine with I-80, stay on west Route 2.

Be advised that traffic on Route 2 may be heavier and slower than on I-80, especially after the freeway portion ends. I have no current knowledge of what Route 2 is like as you approach I-280 (which you will take north to I-75 on your way to Dearborn) near Toledo. If this is a concern, post a question on the Toledo, Ohio, forum.

Route 2 west may be especially busy during the morning rush hour near Toledo, and during whatever hours traffic is heading back to Detroit from Cedar Point in Sandusky, the Lake Erie islands, etc.

Route 2 west also will be busy in the morning and late afternnoon as you approach Cedar Point in Sandusky.

Good luck with your planning!

Edited: 12 August 2011, 17:52
conn
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road Tolls in USA

you should be OK on the PA turnpike most exits have maned toll boths but some small exits are EZpass only

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Road Tolls in USA

I think you are just skirting the tolls in the northeast. If you were to take the Turnpike from Philly to NYC, you might pay five or six dollars. But you aren't going past Philly.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road Tolls in USA

Thanks everyone for your guidance.

We have been advised to take i294 sckirting Chicago, we will probably be passing through there close to rush hour on a Friday or if we stay north of there very early Saturday morning.

On our way from Pittsburgh to Dearborn, it will be a Sunday so hoping traffic won't be as bad as midweek.

Think we will pass on the Transponder, can't see where any tolls will amount to $200, though have heard tolls between Philly & Pittsburgh mount up to quite a few dollars.

Rettie

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,798 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road Tolls in USA

Chicago's Friday afternoon traffic is the worst. I-294 (Tri State Tollway) would indeed be a better option. I-80 eastbound, after you leave i-294 and before you enter I-65, is usually congested with a lot of trucks. Have a safe trip!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
525 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road Tolls in USA

Thanks, if we drive straight through on Friday, probably stop at motel/hotel off i-80 then set off early Saturday, we are going to be very flexible.

Rettie