We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How old are rental cars in the U.S?

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
How old are rental cars in the U.S?

Hi

I have a general question regarding rental cars in the U.S.

Can anyone give their experience on the age of rental cars?

I'm not looking for a insanely detailed answer like, "all rental cars are 1 year and 56 days old", but more a guideline.

i would just want to know what to expect once I pick the car-up - I.e is it usually this years model, last years model or older?

I'll be booking through one of the major rental companies like Alamo, Dollar, National, thrifty etc....(probably not Avis or hertz as they're too expensive)

Thanks in advance for your answer :)

Fairfield...
Level Contributor
502 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How old are rental cars in the U.S?

Hi Rosinmanden-

Generally, all the rental cars I've rented have been newer cars (1-2 years old). The exception is when I was in college and I went to a "rent-a-wreck" place due to budget constraints - let me tell you, it was a wreck all right!

Most rental cars are in great shape and fairly new, so you're usually very safe with any of the biggie rental operations like Alamo, Dollar, etc.

Hope this helps-

Tara

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How old are rental cars in the U.S?

we've always gotten new ones-- within a year old.

We stick with the major companies, by the way.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How old are rental cars in the U.S?

Thanks for your fast reply!

Good to know that they are generally new cars.

Wouldn't want to be stuck with a 10 year old car on a 5 week road trip

We have the rent-a-wreck concept here in Denmark as well. Definitely not a company I would use for a road trip :)

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How old are rental cars in the U.S?

We rented dozens of cars abroad and the ones in the USA never were older than 6 month. Several of them were brand new but we rented with Hertz most of the time...

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How old are rental cars in the U.S?

yep-- we use Avis, my son's company uses Budget-- all have been less than a year old. Any of the major companies should be fine. You can always ask the company you choose to go with too--

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,064 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How old are rental cars in the U.S?

Still, check it over when you pick up (advantage at some airports is you get to pick off the lot) and reject it if your not happy.

I got allocated a nail earlier this year, lot of miles, no service, not much rubber on the tyres, low fluids, and dirty, so I just said 'no thanks', give me the new one next to it ;-)

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How old are rental cars in the U.S?

Cool.

I hope that's the case at the airport I'll be visiting.

Would like the option to choose the car of my liking, instead of having it chosen for me

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,064 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How old are rental cars in the U.S?

As an example Dollar and Alamo offer it at LAS but no one offers it at SFO, think most offer it at MCO?

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How old are rental cars in the U.S?

Yes, last time we were it was offered in MCO but the car they picked for us was perfect already.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,896 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How old are rental cars in the U.S?

I am offered a choice almost every time I rent a car. Once I "rejected" the first car offered because the back windows were so small, and I knew that I'd be spending time in the back seat.

We got a brand new car in Tucson. The problem was that the directional navigation had not yet been set, so it flashed N E S W continuously. Of course the owner's manual had been removed, but my husband figured it out. (It was just a small flashing letter on the mirror, but it was quite annoying!) Now we know to check that.