We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip south of dc looking for civil war highlights

Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Topic
road trip south of dc looking for civil war highlights

we are doing a last minute 2 week trip leaving in 4 days from NJ and must end up in atlanta. looking for civil war highlights , interesting places to go in deep south including new orleans, jackson mississippi, vicksburg and anything else you suggest. we have already been to charleston and savannah.

thanks for advice.

Any special festivals going on now?

babo

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip south of dc looking for civil war highlights

Not sure if this helps, since it sounds like you won't be hitting this area (I live near Asheville, N.C. in the far western part of the state), but just down the road from here in upstate (western) South Carolina there is the Cowpens Battlefield park. Beautiful park with visitors center, ect., and lots of history. You could stay up here in the Asheville area where there's more to do overall (dining, shopping, sightseeing) and then Cowpens is less than an hour away. You could visit for a few hours and then be on your way further south/west.

Enjoy your trip.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip south of dc looking for civil war highlights

Cowpens was a Revolutionary War battle. It was a small battle, but an extremely important one. It provided a blueprint for American victory in the South.

http://www.nps.gov/cowp/index.htm

www.nps.gov/cowp/historyculture/index.htm

As someone interested in military history, it's on my list of places to visit. If you've ever seen the Mel Gibson movie, "The Patriot," that film's loathsome British commander is patterned after Banastre Tarleton, who commanded at the Cowpens.

The real history of the Cowpens arguably was even better than the plot of the movie. It arguably was the "Saratoga of the South," and marked the final vengeance of American commander Daniel Morgan on the British that he so hated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Morgan

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cowpens

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip south of dc looking for civil war highlights

http://www.nps.gov/civilwar150/

Vicksburg is excellent. In Tennessee, visiting Lookout Mountain in Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park and Shiloh National Military Park also would be superb.

I wouldn't want to miss Appomattox Court House National Historical Park, unless you'll be back to see it on another trip.

Manassas National Battlefield Park, Fredericksburg & Spottsylvania National Military Park (the bloodiest landscape in North America as the site of four major battlefields), and Petersburg National Battlefield, all would be good choices.

Mammoth Cave National Park in Kentucy, not far from Tennessee, also has some Civil War history in addition to its great caves.

www.nps.gov/civilwar150/civwarparks.html

Good planning!

Hendersonville, NC
Level Contributor
702 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip south of dc looking for civil war highlights

Thanks Transcendental for correcting my really bad mistake (while also adding some great details about Cowpens). I was there only once a few years ago and wasn't thinking when I typed my post.

Anyway, good stuff.

Level Contributor
311 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip south of dc looking for civil war highlights

Thanks to all who replied to my recent post. There is so much to see. We will get really planning now. In 10 lifetimes, you can't see it all.

Babo

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip south of dc looking for civil war highlights

Mtnwriter, thanks for reminding me of Cowpens. It's truly a place that I want to see some day. It's an immensely historic site and well worth a visit if anywhere near South Carolina IMO.

Some historians very much view the Revolutionary War as a civil war (Kevin Phillips views it as the second of the three great Anglo-American civil wars, all fought among the same social-political forces; see link below), and that was very true at Cowpens, where many of the British combatants were American Loyalists.

amazon.com/Cousins-Wars-Religion-Politics-An…

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip south of dc looking for civil war highlights

Babo, you might want to buy a copy of James McPherson's "The Battle Cry of Freedom." It's a Pulitzer Prize-winning one volume history of the Civil War and very readable IMO.

It would provide an excellent reference guide on the trip that you're contemplating.

8. Re: road trip south of dc looking for civil war highlights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 20:19