We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeing america by road

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Seeing america by road

Two months. Mom, dad, daughter (7) and dog. Just realized I should start doing some planning. Looking for guidance about what I *must* see. We'll be going the southern route to the Atlantic and the northern route back home. Mostly camping, but visiting friends/kin along the way. Also, visiting as many disc golf courses as can be worked in reasonably.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeing america by road

Time of year?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeing america by road

A little more info would be appreciated as well as time of year, such as travel style and what you'd call a 'must see'. Also, where the friends/kin that you will definitely visit live, otherwise any suggestion could miss them by miles!

I know nothing and personally care less about golf so can help there, but there is a golf vacations forum which might help you on that front.

SWT

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeing america by road

What are your interests besides golfing? The must see to you could be completely different than my interests. Hiking, shopping, wildlife, antiquing, national parks, forests, museum, history, others? Where do you have to stop since you're planning to visit your friends/family? Are you planning to take I-8, I-10? What do you mean by the Atlantic? Atlantic Ocean? What state? Maybe Atlantic City? Can you be more specific? Two weeks traveling east is not that much time but plenty if you give an idea where are you heading and what you mean by southern and northern routes. What route are you planning to take in order to get from the southern route to the northern?

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeing america by road

You have unlimited possibilities. As you are thinking of visiting folks along the way it appears that you do have some general routing in mind that has to be brought into focus along with considering the family's interests.

You might get a quick overview of some places along the way at www.drivecrosscountry.net/Places

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,843 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeing america by road

Disc Golf is a game with Frisbees (flying discs) thrown at or into targets. It is not something one would play at a regular golf course!

Jacqui C ~ I think Google will be the best option for finding disc golf courses across the US. I just did a quick check and found a few websites listing thousands. Unless there are courses you really want to play, I suggest you set your itinerary, then look state by state for courses that are along your route. Keep the list available, and if you've spent enough time in the car one day, stop at one of them. Or find the ones that sound best to you & your family, and plan to incorporate them into your itinerary. (Lunch stop? Camp in that town and play the course after dinner?)

Last tip ~ check the regulations for each campground about pets. Some are more dog-friendly than others.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,119 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeing america by road

Oops!!!!

Not being an American (?), I, foolishly, and without taking the time to check, assumed disc golf was just another type of 'regular' golf - which just shows the already confessed lack of knowledge of golf. Of course, I know what a frisbee is. We always pack one when doing road trips starting from home. Great means of letting of steam after a day cooped up in the car!

SWT

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeing america by road

I just learned something. But if disc golf is frisbee why OP needs a special places to play it? I think OP needs to be creative by playing frisbee almost anywhere and throw it to a target she or he chose.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
58,843 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeing america by road

Disc golf has rules, championships, styles of targets (baskets), level of difficulty, .... and so on. Google 'disc golf' to find out more.

(I used to play, but only our own made-up courses. ...to the big tree, to the fence post, to the stop sign, and so on.)

We took a cross country trip with the stops planned for local zoos. There are lots of ways to make a cross country drive more fun with kids!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeing america by road

Why is it called disc "golfing"? Do you throw them into holes in the ground?

;-)

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Jacqui C. The more information you can provide, the easier it is for folks to help you!

Can you give us a rough idea of your itinerary thoughts?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeing america by road

What southern route and what northern route and as other have said. What time of year. If you want to see America by road stay away from the interstates and use the byways.