We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

road trip new york to orlando

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
road trip new york to orlando

Hello,we are family of four from Scotland,Two young boys(9&6).we are spending 4 days in New York late aug 2012 then travelling over 5 days by car down to Orlando, then spending 2 weeks at Disney World then 4 more days in orlando.would really just like to know places of interest we could stop at on way to orlando and things for kids in New York.We like adventure,sport and fun things to do!! any help would really be appreciated,Cheers.

Poconos
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: road trip new york to orlando

Five days from NYC to Orlando, wow. I drive it in one day - 20 hours, give or take.

Good stopping points are Chincoteague in Virginia -- ponies on the beach, nice parks, great for kids and adults. Also Myrtle Beach, S.C. - beach and boardwalk amusements that kids will love. And Charleston, S.C., which the adults would love -- is a simply beautiful historic city that's great for walking tours and southern cuisine. Though August in any city will be simply stifling. (Not to mention Disney in August, but you didn't ask me that :)

In NYC, kid-friendly things are the Museum of Natural history, the Metropolitan Museum, Rockefeller Center (try to get tickets to a TV show), the tramway to Roosevelt Island (take it at night for a great view of the city - it's the price of a subway ride and a definite non-touristy-but-excellent-tourist-thing-to-do), Central Park, free ride on the Staten Island ferry from Battery Park, the Statue of Liberty, the ferris wheel inside the Times Square Toys R Us store, Chelsea Pier (fun sports stuff there), take a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and spend the afternoon in Brooklyn Heights - picnic lunch on the promenade....those are for starters.

In Orlando - drive east on the Beachline to Cape Canaveral, visit the Kennedy Space Center for the day. Worth every penny (it's expensive now; didn't use to be) ... Even take an overnight cruise or day cruise on one of the cruise ships that leave from Port Canaveral. If you have the time, I'd drive south to the Florida Keys and snorkel... That would take four days there and back.

Hope these suggestions help!

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: road trip new york to orlando

Hi,thanks for great reply there are lots of things there i did'nt even think about.Think the kids will LOVE toys r us in New York. Will have a look at the city's you mentioned online but they sound like the sort of place we would like.20 hour drive,don't fancy that!! Do you take the I-95( i think it's called)to Orlando, cause i checked online and there is not many people got good things to say about it.Would i be better taking back roads and seeing the real America? Cheers

Poconos
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: road trip new york to orlando

Meh. These days, the real America along the Eastern Seaboard *is* I-95. At least you will go through the big cities.

There's a famous question about people from New Jersey - "what exit?" -- meaning, what exit off the Turnpike (which is I-95 in NJ) do you come from?

I'm being a bit over-dramatic, I suppose. The old U.S.1 and A1A are the historic roads that head down south. But they have become so built up with a never-ending succession of the same old big box stores - Target, Walmart, Generic Supermarket, Home Depot, Staples, over and over again until you could swear you were stuck on a loop -- that I don't really ever recommend taking the "back way" down to Florida. To be sure, there are still sections of those roads that retain some character. Maybe others could chime in with some scenic byway suggestions. But i usually just try to get where I'm going and get it over with. (And I am a major fan of back roads, so don't get me wrong :)

Now, there are lovely scenic roads around the Charleston area that will work out nicely. And I would definitely take a drive down the coastal A1A in Florida along the Atlantic. But to get to Cape Canaveral from Orlando, for instance, there's a toll road - the Beachline, a straight-as-an-arrow highway - - and there are "back roads" that offer absolutely nothing of any scenic value, tell you nothing you want to know of the real America, and would take twice as long.

The Keys, obviously, is not a highway trip, once you get below Miami. I would take Florida Turnpike directly there, then hop onto US 1 for the remainder of that road trip.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: road trip new york to orlando

Here are some suggestions to complement those of Krenster, which were excellent.

The Empire State Building likely will have long lines in Aug. Consider going after dark, as late as possible, for shorter lines. Be certain to go on a clear day, otherwise you'll be fogged in.

Check to see if there are Broadway shows or events at Radio City Music Hall that your kids might enjoy. Perhaps visit Yankee Stadium for a major league baseball game (also an option in Baltimore, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and Tampa (wouldn't recommend Tampa as I believe it's a non-retractable dome).

The Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum in New York City likely also would delight your sons.

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/

Your sons likely would enjoy a day at Gettysburg, especially if you showed them the movie ahead of your trip.

Baltimore offers a superb railroad museum that is very kid-friendly and the excellent National Aquarium. Your sons also might enjoy a visit to Fort McHenry to hear how the fort's repulse of a British fleet during the War of 1812 inspired the composition of the lyrics to "The Star-Spangled Banner."

http://www.borail.org/

Williamsburg, VA, is a unique historical adventure which delights young boys (the teenage fife and drum corps, maze, etc.) and there's a good amusement park there. Williamsburg is not far from Yorktown, where the American Revolutionary War effectively ended with the surrender of the British southern army.

Although there are obvious attractions in Washington, D.C., your children likely are too young to appreciate many of them. Exceptions would include a trip to the top of the Washington Monument, visiting the Lincoln Memorial at night (ask your nine-year-old to read at least Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address out loud), and the Korean War Memorial also especially fascinates kids at night (it's very near the Lincoln Memorial). Definitely watch the "Changing of the Guard" at Arlington National Cemetery's "Tombs of the Unknown." Also attempt to attend the Sunset Parade at the Iwo Jima Memorial, or a "Twilight Tattoo" or "Friday Evening Parade."

nps.gov/ncro/…summerinthecity.htm

http://thedistrict.com/

The Patriot Point Naval & Maritime Museum is located in Charleston Harbor, as is Fort Sumter, where the first shots were fired in the American Civil War.

http://www.patriotspoint.org/

Your children might greatly enjoy trainspotting in Folkston, Georgia.

…wsj.com/article/SB117953013498608127.html

The Canaveral National Seashore next to the Kennedy Space Center also is a very worthwhile adventure.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Canaveral_National_Seash…

http://www.nps.gov/cana/index.htm

My hunch is that you're allocating way too much time to Disney World and Orlando, and too little time to the trip there.

BTW, if you want to make a diversion to experience one of the momentous, though tiny, battles of the American Revolution, where the 71st Highlanders played a role, consider a visit to the Cowpens National Battlefield in South Carolina.

nps.gov/cowp/…the-battle-of-cowpens.htm

Good planning!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: road trip new york to orlando

Keep an eye on Labor Day weekend (Labor day is first monday in september). It will be very busy then.

We took 3 weeks between NY and Orlando and weren't bored. Chincoteague is a great suggestion. I also would recommend OBX (Outer Banks) and Myrtle Beach for the kids (we could do without but we are seniors...)

Anyway, with only 5 days I don't think you can avoid driving parts of I95. Don't miss Charleston and Savannah and the A1A drive.

Tet

Beaufort, South...
Level Contributor
1,512 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: road trip new york to orlando

My suggestion would be a bit different. August is an awfully hot time to visit the east coast of the US, and since you'll be in Florida, you won't get to enjoy any mountainous areas, where the temperatures are a bit cooler. Plus, this route will take you away from the traffic and congestion on I-95. This route also does not involve larger cities.

From New York, I would suggest heading into the mountains of Pennsylvania on your first day. You may be interested in seeing the Hershey chocolate factory on that first day and perhaps the Pennsylvania Amish Country in Lancaster County. Stay overnight in that area.

On the second day, I would drive through portions of Shenandoah National Park in Virginia and overnight in Charlottesville, Virginia.

On the third day, I would see Monticello (Jefferson's house) early and then drive to Asheville, North Carolina that afternoon along I-81 to I-26.

On the fourth day, drive from Asheville and head down to Beaufort, South Carolina and check out Hunting Island State Park which is on the beach. Stay the night in Beaufort, which is an attractive and historic small town.

On the fifth day, head toward Orlando and stop in St. Augustine on the way to check out the awesome Castillo de San Marcos, an old Spanish fort.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,067 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: road trip new york to orlando

You say, to quote <<2 weeks at Disney World then 4 more days in orlando>>. Even with 2 young children, that's an awfully long time spent in just one theme park! You don't ask for things to see/do in the Orlando area, but, away from all the theme park stuff is Cape Canaveral. The shuttle programme has now finished, but there's still plenty of stuff at the centre that will appeal to kids of all ages about space travel, including hardware to clamber over.

For things to do in NYC itself, I'd suggest you have a look at the New York forum where there's a great list, or ask the same question there. There's an awful lot to see and do in that big city and it's more child friendly that many expect. However, off the top of my head for starters, there's the natural history museum on Central Park West and taking the Staten Island Ferry from Lower Manhattan and then straight back again is the best free ride almost anywhere in the world, outward you past the Statue of Liberty, the return offers that iconic skyline! If the crowds and queus are too long for the Empire State Building, try the Top of the Rock.

If you don't plan on a swamp boat ride around Orlando or the Everglades, you could detour in southern Georgia to the Okefenokee Swamp where they have some large 'gators. Although New England is more famous for them, there are some interesting lighthouses that can be visited along several bits of the coast. They're really plenty to keep children amused on the long drive, so I'm not at all sure why Krenster would be advocating that you do the drive in one 20 hours stint!

Have fun,

SWT

Poconos
Level Contributor
184 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: road trip new york to orlando

LOL, no no, not advocating the 20-hour Bataan Death Road Trip at all ... I've just gotten used to doing it and the idea of stopping along the way has become foreign to me. Then again, I'm such a cheapskate that getting to my family's (free) digs in Florida is always preferable to spending money on accommodations along the way.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: road trip new york to orlando

Your probaly right,2 weeks at disney and my head is going to be spinning but kids will be happy!!

As for the 4 days in Orlando was thinking Sea world,Gatorland and check out International drive sounds like a fun street to see.Will also have a car so could venture about a bit.New York i'm liking the suggestions and will go for,Natural History Museum,Krenster mentioned walk across Brooklyn Bridge which sounds good and staten island ferry(save money!) And maybe central park zoo?

I will be staying in chelsea so hope it's good location for things to do.Oh and like sound of this Okefenokee swamp i will check that out too.

Vermont
Level Contributor
98 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: road trip new york to orlando

My kids LOVE the M'nM factory in NYC.