We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling from Maine to DC

South Portland...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling from Maine to DC

My family and I will be driving from Maine to DC in April. We will be leaving on a Wednesday early in the morning. I'm wondering about timing as far as hitting nasty traffic. Also is there better rest stops than others and ones to stay away from.

Thanks for you help.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling from Maine to DC

Check out www.drivecrosscountry.net It might offer you some good suggestions.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling from Maine to DC

I would definitely drive Rte 495 rather than going directly down Rte 95 (aka Rte 128 in MA) in the morning. On a map, it may look quite a bit longer, but the traffic on Rte 128 is horrendous in the morning until about 9 or 9:30. And that's without any accidents to tie things up even further.

Depending on what time you're in Rhode Island, you might also consider using Rte 295 to circumvent Rte 95 in Providence, which can be really heavy as well.

New York
Level Contributor
905 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling from Maine to DC

I can tell you that on I-95 in CT, anywhere from exit 60 til the end of the state can be dicey in the afternoon early evening. Doesnt get much better in NY if you plan on going 95 to the cross bronx/ GW...

if you are doing this...id suggest taking 95 to I-287 (its at the border of CT and NY) towards the Tappan Zee for about 6 miles and then switch to the Sprain Brook South, to I87 and go over the GW that way...you will hit traffic unless it is very very early or later in the evening, like 8pm or later and not on a weekend.

if this doesnt make a lot of sense, message me and I can give you legit directions...the Cross Bronx Expressway is the absolute worst...

4. Re: Traveling from Maine to DC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2013, 09:48