We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days SF to Portland

St-lambert
Level Contributor
942 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How many days SF to Portland

Hello

Solo traveler, I plan to fly in San Fran on June 23rd and I have two weeks vacation, I want to drive the coast all the way to Portland, and then a fastrack back to San Francisco, so how many days you propose the drive up to Portland, and during my driving it will be my birthday June 26 where should I be ?

Merci

Sylvain

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,228 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days SF to Portland

Hi, I think I remember you from you last trip to this part of the world :-)

Taking the latter part of your question first, to drive quickly from Portland to SF it will take two days going south on I-5 to I-505 to I-80 into SF. It's about 11 hours drive, not counting stops.

To go north from SF along the coast, a fairly relaxed drive would be 3 days for the northern California coast (take Hwy 1) and four days for the entire Oregon coast. You could of course take longer!

Your birthday . . .what sort of ideas are you thinking about?

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,873 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days SF to Portland

Just a thought for the OP, when I go over to the coast from the Inland NW I like to drive it North to South, because that way you are on the ocean side of the road the whole way. You could drive straight to Portland and see the pretty part on the way back.

Any thoughts on S -> N or N -> S, Half-Brit?

Pam

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,228 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days SF to Portland

Generally most people do suggest North -> South. The main reason behind that is so the passenger has a better view of the ocean. Also, it is easier to pull over into view points from the southbound side without crossing traffic . . . although other than right near a few of the larger towns, that really isn't much of a problem.

I was thinking of the OP's birthday - he might have more fun in a small coastal town?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,775 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days SF to Portland

N>S, or S>N?

On our trips, we too usually also opt for the driving on the coast side of the road for the slower journey, for reasons give above by h-B. However, Tet, this forum's guru does often make the salient point that you might want to consider driving for the longer part of the trip with the sun behind you rather than in the driver's eyes for much of the time. I guess different times of the year might make that sitution worse, of course. Dazzle can be tiring, and the OP will be a solo traveller so may want to take that factor in consideration.

Whichever options, should make for a lovely road, trip, and enjoy celebrating your birthday - sorry no specific suggestions come to mind.

Bonne route,

SWT

Edited: 26 March 2012, 09:54
N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
21,873 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days SF to Portland

SWT, good point about the *dazzle*. That can get tiring.

Pam

6. Re: How many days SF to Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 11:16