We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

35 day car hire - request car return for maintenance

Stawell, Australia
Level Contributor
532 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
35 day car hire - request car return for maintenance

Hi, I have just booked a rental car for a 35 day road trip we doing starting as we leave New York, and covering Niagara Falls, Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans, Orlando, Key West, Miami, Orlando, Washington and finishing as we re-enter New York. I booked online with Thrifty using my Australian car club membership to receive a discounted rate. I entered the dates and it was accepted fine. However, hours later I was reading the fine print of the terms and conditions and it stated that when a rental exceeds 30 days the car must be returned for routine maintenance/service. I emailled Thrifty who replied that this was indeed the case but I could take it into any Thrify site, not just New York, however they are refusing to tell me how long this maintenance/service will take. We will be in Orlando on the 30th day which by pure luck is somewhere we are staying for 9 days so could afford to lose a little bit of time taking the car into Thrifty but it all depends - if we can take car in and sit there for 15/30 minutes while they check water/oil ?? it wouldnt be that big an inconvenience, however if it means a 3-4 hour full service then I would find that unacceptable. Has anyone else ever been through this experience?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 35 day car hire - request car return for maintenance

Hi

Yes, some rental companies have that 30 days rule but not all of them. With Hertz we rented for 62 days and this year with Alamo for 56. Last year 56 with National. No need for a service break with them. Btw, we drove 7500-9000 miles on those legs.

My own car only need intervals every 30.000 kms.

Tet

Edited: 06 April 2012, 09:29
Stawell, Australia
Level Contributor
532 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 35 day car hire - request car return for maintenance

YThanks for the reply Tet14, bit annoying rule when only doing about 4500 miles...reason for picking them was cost as they are coming in much much cheaper around $1500 including LDW but we would get SLI so add around another $500. We used Alamo last visit but this time they are coming in around $3000+. The only other thing coming in close pricewise is a company called udrive.com.au which can get us a car for $2100 including LDW and SLI but I have never heard of the company before so am bit cautious. Apparently it sources the major car companies such as dollar, hertz, alamo but you dont know which company you are with until you book, oh and the other catch is you pay upfront....

Any thoughts??

Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 35 day car hire - request car return for maintenance

In the 7-8 car rentals I've done in Orlando I'd have to say that nothing happens fast at any of those rental companies so a 10-15 minute stop in for a quick check doesn't seem likely (though I've never done a maintenance stop).

One thing to check on is whether they'd just let you drop the old car off and pick up a new one. Another possibility is to avoid the airport location of Thrifty--they seem to be chaos all the time. If off-airport locations are allowed to do the check you may be able to schedule an appointment at a smaller branch near where you're staying which may help you get in and out faster.

4. Re: 35 day car hire - request car return for maintenance

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 00:16