We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Road Trip from Los Angelos to Seattle

Kelowna, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
Scenic Road Trip from Los Angelos to Seattle

Hi, we would like to take our children (teens) from Los Angelos to Seattle via car this summer and would really appreciate any advice on places to stop and see and which ones are best to find hotels in. We love the Ocean, beaches, board walks, seafood, tourist attractions, shows, shopping etc. We are thinking to allow about 10 days for the trip. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks so much.

1. Re: Scenic Road Trip from Los Angelos to Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 April 2012, 09:35
Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
17,815 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Road Trip from Los Angelos to Seattle

Hi Lisa.

Possible choices along that route are Cambria/San Simeon, drive Big Sur to Monterey (State parks on route and Point Lobos), San Fransisco, Redwoods parks in northern California (Eureka), Oregon Coast ( Gold beach, maybe jet boat trip on Rogue River), Portland (for shopping and Columbia River Gorge) and the WA coast, Olympic National Park.

But as Katzgar suggests, there are many more, particularly north of SF.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,741 posts
1,098 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic Road Trip from Los Angelos to Seattle

10 days is a *minimum* amount of time for this trip. Do you plan to take any time to see San Francisco or Portland along the way? If so, that will take away from your time in smaller places along your route.

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
312 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic Road Trip from Los Angelos to Seattle

you could probably spend 10 days in so cal alone, given your interests!

to take advantage of the road trip opportunity, especially with only 10 days, i would recommend focusing on the places that are more difficult to get to otherwise. that would mean skipping the cities for the most part.

I've been to ca many times and always wanted to see the hearst castle (san simeon), but it's pretty far from la or sf, so we never make it. i don't know no cal. well, but there's always wine and redwoods.

another out of the way place is crater lake national park in oregon. again, it's hours from 'anywhere,' but a truly spectacular place. the oregon coast is not as difficult to get to, but certainly quite different from los angeles. mt st helens is near portland, and i haven't been there in years, but the changes over 30 years since eruption are always fascinating. columbia river gorge also near portland and spectacular.

Oostburg, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
270 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic Road Trip from Los Angelos to Seattle

I'd recommend taking Hwy 5 to SF, then #5 again to Portland. Spend one night in a PDX airport motel, and take light-rail into the downtown. Stay in Seattle, and take a Ferry to Victoria Island, then Vancouver, CA. Take the train (or bus) back to Seattle. Drive to SF on #5, then take the coast route (Hwy 1) to Carmel and the 17-mile drive. Finally, drive Hwy 1 down to San Luis Obispo (stopping at the Hearst Castle), and #101 will take you back to LA. On one leg spend 2 entire days in SF. (This is my dream!)

Kelowna, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic Road Trip from Los Angelos to Seattle

Thank you to everyone who replied, this has been very helpful for us!

Have a great day.

Lisa

7. Re: Scenic Road Trip from Los Angelos to Seattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 23:17