We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip from NJ to Chicago

Linden, New Jersey
1 post
Save Topic
Road Trip from NJ to Chicago

Hi,

We are two adults and a toddler driving from NJ to Chicago this summer, any ideas of where we should stop along the way? We would be taking Route 80. We were planning to stop at the Delaware Water Gap but need more ideas!

Thanks!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,076 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road Trip from NJ to Chicago

You might get some good ideas from

www.roadtripamerica.com

www.drivecrosscountry.net

Neither site has the exact route you may be planning to take, but there are lots of good ideas to check out. If you are interested in seeing Amish settlements and culture, both Ohio and Indiana have Amish regions in the northern parts of the state. Have a wonderful trip and a great time in Chicago - it's a great city. Great views over Lake Michigan, great parks and museums, good food. If you can get your toddler to the Crown Fountain in Millennium Park, it will be a blast!

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Road Trip from NJ to Chicago

Cedar Point is just off I-80 in Sandusky, OH. While a major roller coaster destination, they do have beaches and other activities that may be suitable for a toddler.

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland.

Pro football hall of fame is a relatively short diversion off of 80 in Canton, OH.

I just drove I-80 from Toledo into Pennsylvania this week - it is a rather boring drive once you clear the PA mountains. Flat farm land the rest of the way to Chicago. Make sure you have cash or an EZ-Pass - the tolls add up. Cost me around $20 to get to Pittsburgh.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
7,487 posts
303 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Road Trip from NJ to Chicago

warren dunes state park in southwest michigan, about 1.5 hours east of downtown chicago.... excellent beach and awesome dunes to climb... a nice stop before your final push to chicago.... since you'll have a toddler, another 20-30 minutes north of WD is the city of st joseph, MI..... a VERY kid friendly town with two children's museums, interactive fountain, world class beach, old time carousel, cutesy downtown with ice cream shops etc.... the more i think of it, this should be your stop for the night before your final push to chicago.... then maybe check out warren dunes on your way back to I-80.....

www.beachtowns.org

michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx…

http://www.harborcountry.org/

Edited: 20 April 2012, 06:41
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road Trip from NJ to Chicago

How long do you have for this trip?

Jackson, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
574 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road Trip from NJ to Chicago

Getting off near cedar point is the area of Marblehead OH. There is a drive through safari park there. You stay in your car drive thru with buckets of food to feed free roaming animals from giraffes, to buffalo alpacas etc. this might be preferable to the big roller coasters for such alittle one. Marblehead has a scenic lighthouse and if you have a full day you can take ferry out to Put in Bay Island .

6. Re: Road Trip from NJ to Chicago

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 01:15