We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for RV road from San Fran to Vegas

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
Suggestions for RV road from San Fran to Vegas

We would appreciate some feed back on our planned RV road trip from San Francisco to Las Vegas for 16 nights in June 2012 in a 30 ft RV.

We are setting off from San Francisco to Yosemite NP for 3 nights then either off to Lake Tahoe and then back down to Mammoth Lakes and through Death Valley and on to Zion NP & Bryce Canyon or (skip Death Valley and cross further north through Nevada to Zion etc .

Then from Bryce Canyon to Monument Valley ( if we have time maybe Mesa Verde in southern Colorado ? ) or Canyonlands NP & Arches NP ? and then back to South rim of Grand Canyon and finish off in Las Vegas. Please tell me if I'm MAD or on the right track with this trip. Or any other points of interest along the way. Nothing better than local knowledge or people who have been before us. Use to distance drives coming from OZ. Cheers Rob

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,271 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for RV road from San Fran to Vegas

Hi Rochelle.

Just to confirm, the 16 nights does not include time in SF? and will it include time in LV, and if so how long ( at least 2 if you want to do some sightseeing).

I'm not sure you will have time for the sights around both Moab and Mesa Verde, and maybe neither if you include Page in this, lots to do and see there and it fits in your route well between Bryce and MV if not going further north in Utah.

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for RV road from San Fran to Vegas

Hi there

thank you for getting back to me so soon, just to confirm that the 16 nights starts in Yosemite for approx 3 nights and the last night is in Grand Canyon South Rim area. Doesn't include Vegas or San Fran time.

Cheers Rob

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,271 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for RV road from San Fran to Vegas

Hi again Rob.

I've got a suggested itinerary with all you suggested locations in it, just for a start. I know I could do it in a car, but it does have some long drives in it and others with RV experience will advise on route restrictions (such as through Zion tunnel). It also is quite rushed and you may decide, and the others on the forum suggest, quality will be better than quantity. But anyway .....

1-3.Yosemite 3 nights.

4. Drive to Lake Tahoe via Tioga Road.

5. Lake Tahoe.

6. Drive 395 route to Death Valley, stay? This is a long day, think June is still ok for RVs in DV?

7. DV to Zion, a long day again.

8. Zion.

9. Drive to Bryce Canyon.

10. Bryce Canyon to Moab. (I'd go via Ut12 and Ut24, still a long day, not really any time for Capitol Reef NP, will be slow in a RV, others may advise re. route).

11. Moab (Canyonlands/Arches

12. Moab to Mesa Verde (afternoon in the park if you leave early).

13. Drive to Monunment Valley.

14. MV to Page.

15. Page (Antelope canyon, River Raft, Horseshoe Bend etc.)

16 Drive to GCNP South Rim.

Can't help with suggestions for best RV hookup locations but obviously an RV allows you to use the park options subject to reservations. If this looks too rushed then maybe drop the Moab stay (Bryce to Page via US 89) and distribute the nights to the others locations.

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for RV road from San Fran to Vegas

If you want to do all of this I'd skip the nights in Lake Tahoe and add them between Bryce and Moab (this already is an 7 hours drive with an RV without stops) in Torrey and an extra day for Moab.

Not sure if you are allowed to drive through DV with your RV. If not just let us know Iandwe'll give you another (long) route to Zion and Bryce.

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for RV road from San Fran to Vegas

Hi

Just to confirm you will not be allowed to take a rental RV through DV at that time of year - too hot. Take it from someone who did that area in 2008 you will be doing very long days doing all that in only 16 days. We took 7 weeks to explore the SW in 2008. We started in LA up the coast to SF then to Sequoia - up to Yosemite and over the top to Mono Lake and Owen Valley. Around the bottom of DV as we were not allowed to take the RV through to South RIm of the Grand Canyon. Then to Page (antelope Canyon, Big Bend etc) and onto Zion, then Bryce - then to Torry along highway 12, then through the Capitol Reef with a side trip to Goblin Valley. Back down to Monument Valley then across to Mesa Verda, up to Moab (Arches & Canyonlands) then up the Rocky Mountian National Park and finally to Denver. Great trip but even 7 weeks felt rushed. All done in a 30ft RV staying mainly in National or State Parks.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Kiwi

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for RV road from San Fran to Vegas

Hi Kiwi.

Some things have changed now. Cruise America allows to travel through Death Valley now and I think the others will follow in the future. It also depends on when in june the OP is coming.

Tet

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
15,271 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for RV road from San Fran to Vegas

Hi Tet.

Yes, read the FAQ section on CruA website, basically says at your own risk in in July and August, renters responsible for 'extraordinary vehicle recovery and other charges' whatever they may be?

Edited: 26 April 2012, 09:54
Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for RV road from San Fran to Vegas

Thanks for the investigation Valiant!

Christchurch
Level Contributor
652 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for RV road from San Fran to Vegas

Hi Tet & Valliant

Yes CA does say that but who wants to pay that if there is a problem - very costly. Plus driving through DV in an RV would like being in a tin can in the sun - even with aircon!!! We didn't use CA for the 2008 trip - we used Road Bear and they still don't let you take the RV through DV - see below

"Death Valley:

Traveling into Death Valley is not permitted between June 15th and September 15th."

As you say they might change it as CA do allow it at your risk and your expense - but not my idea of a great place to be on a sunny summer day - will be putting it on my wish list as a spring vaccation spot I think!

Cheers

Kiwi

Uden, The...
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for RV road from San Fran to Vegas

Yesterday it was 108F in DV and that's april. We had 116 in may.....