We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A California Road Trip - in case anyone else is making plans

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
A California Road Trip - in case anyone else is making plans

I just wanted to post the itinerary to our Californian road trip - I found it really helpful reading about other people's itineraries to help plan ours so wanted to pass forward the favour!

We travelled on a fairly tight budget, but the budget is mostly effected by the hotels you stay in so I won't comment on that here. We had two of us to drive. We flew in and out of LA, so this route is circular. You could probably start it at any point in the route, such as San Diego, San Francisco or Las Vegas. The total drive was around 2000 miles, fuel (at around $4.10 per gallon currently) cost around £200 / $300. We took 16 nights, but it would be easy enough to reduce it to 14 or 15.

1. Arrived in LA, picked up car; spent night here.

2. Drove to Pismo Beach along Hwy 1, stopping at Santa Barbara.

3. Spent day in Pismo Beach doing kayaking tour of coast (could equally be stoppover with activity in Santa Barbara or Monteray).

4. Drove up from Pismo Beach along Hwy 1 to San Francisco (Big Sur).

5. Spent day in San Francisco.

6. Spent most of day in San Francisco; drove 1 hour north to Sonoma in afternoon.

7. Sonoma wine valley for day.

8. Drove from Sonoma to Mariposa (gateway town to Yosemite).

9. Went to Yosemite and climbed a mountain; drove to Fresno at end of day (though any other gateway town would be just as good).

10. Day at Kings Canyon / Sequoia.

11. Drove via Sequoia or the Sequoia National Forest to Lone Pine.

12. Drove to Las Vegas through Death Valley, exploring the park on the way.

13. Day in Las Vegas.

14. Drove from Las Vegas to San Diego (a long day's drive).

15. Day in San Diego.

16. Drove back to LA to get flight home.

The whole trip was really well paced except possibly day 14 - another way of doing this would be to drive to Joshua Tree (just over half way) and stop around that area, then drive to San Diego / LA for a night.

I wouldn't have stayed in Fresno - somewhere closer to the parks or nicer would have been preferable.

Also, if you don't fancy Las Vegas (good for the spectacle, but I wouldn't go back), either take extra time in Yosemite / Sequoia or take more time doing the journey from LV to LA. There's plenty to do on the way, such as the Mojave Reserve, Joshua Tree NP, Palm Springs, San Diego...

And that was our road trip! A lot of time, the road was part of the adventure - in particular, Hwy 1, the roads around Sonoma and day 9-12 (the drive from Yosemite through to Death Valley).

I hope that the above helps other travellers planning road trips in California - feel free to ask any questions you have!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A California Road Trip - in case anyone else is making plans

Thank you ... so much to see in such a short time.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,934 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A California Road Trip - in case anyone else is making plans

How about more details on day 10 at Kings Canyon / Sequoia including trails you hiked on

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A California Road Trip - in case anyone else is making plans

Hi.

Worth confirming it was an April 2012 trip, (from your reviews) hence the snow (and tyre chains! - where did you get them/cost, as this is an often asked question re. rentals?) in the Sierras (SEKI) and no Tioga Road route to Lone Pine from Yosemite.

Fast paced 16 day loop, but scope for adjustment as you say.

Edited: 25 April 2012, 14:51
London
Level Contributor
2 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A California Road Trip - in case anyone else is making plans

As Valiantsontour points out, Places, it was an April trip and the snow fall was very deep for the time of year - you couldn't have hiked anywhere without snow shoes or skis, both of which we didn't have! We walked to General Sherman Tree and did some of (you could have done all of) the Giant Tree Trail. We did attempt to get to Tunnel Log on foot, but it was way too snowy, so we built snowmen instead...

Valiantsontour - we rented tyre chains at one of the gas stations in Mariposa for $25 (with $25 deposit that you got back when you returned them). For Sequoia, there were less places to rent from so we purchased some from Pep Boys for $40. Next time, we'd just purchase them for this time of year trip, as you are often legally required to carry them if there's snow in the mountains.

It's worth noting that conditions were unusual for the time of year - usually, although the Tioga Road would be closed, and some of the off-shoots (e.g. Crystal Cave road), most of the main roads and trails would be accessible. The same applies to Yosemite - some of the trails were not as accessible as might have been otherwise.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,242 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A California Road Trip - in case anyone else is making plans

Hi Gemsybob.

Yes, like you I'd plan to buy/rent a set if I knew I was going to a location that would likely require them (and hope not to use them), irrespective of what the rental agreement/policies say, which as you will see from the info on the Yosemite forum is far from clear.

Anyway, pleased you weren't ripped off by a roadside outfit, in a chain up area, which I have heard happens.

6. Re: A California Road Trip - in case anyone else is making plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 09:15