We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Florida to New York - where should we stop?

Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
South Florida to New York - where should we stop?

We're driving from the Ft. Lauderdale area to White Plains,NY in early August. We would like to stop about halfway there (or a little more than half way) to spend the night. It's myself, my husband and our 4 yr old. Where about is the half way mark? I've tried to figure it out and for some reason can't come up with sonething that won't have us driving 10 hours the second day. I'd like us to stay in a Holiday Inn affiliated hotel.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
79,211 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Florida to New York - where should we stop?

HI GK95;

Half-way would be near Fayetteville NC.

The overall drive is approx. 1294 miles, via I-95, about 20 hours of non-stop driving. You will need to factor in breaks, meals, traffic delays, etc.

You can not change the laws of physics - it is a long drive !

Best Regards

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Florida to New York - where should we stop?

Lumberton NC or Fayetteville NC. You'll find HI's in both places. As RT says. A long distance in 2 days. With some reststops on your way it easily can take 22+ hours. Not counting roadworks and traffic.

florida
Level Contributor
164 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: South Florida to New York - where should we stop?

If you want a fun place to stop,a tourist trap but fun,South of the Border by N.C./S.C. border on I-95.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Florida to New York - where should we stop?

Thanks everyone! That really helps. Yes, it is a long drive but we have to be there on a Friday and can't take an extra day off work to split it up more. The way back won't be as bad because we'll be driving from NY to DC for a few days before heading home. And we'll stop at South of the Border for a pit stop. I've seen it but never stopped. I think our 4 year old will love it. Thanks again to you all for your time.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Florida to New York - where should we stop?

According to Meetways.Com half way is Latta, SC.

http://www.meetways.com/

Get off I 95 at Exit 181A and go one mile to Highway 917. Take a left and go about 3 miles to Abingdon Manor Inn and Restaurant at Latta, SC. Spend the night in a soft bed in a grand old inn and have a fantastic dinner.

Abingdon Manor Inn and Restaurant @ 307 Church Street, Latta, SC 843 - 752 - 5090.

http://www.abingdonmanor.com/

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,777 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Florida to New York - where should we stop?

Don't go that way!

If you're not going to the tourist thing in DC I'd avoid it entirely (worst traffic in the US, IMHO, and I lived in LA for a short time) and head up 95 to west of Charleston SC where 95 intersects with 26 and take 26 West to Columbia SC where you can pick up 77 and take it up through Charlotte, NC (not great traffic, but not as bad as DC — avoid race days and football game days) to I-81 near Wytheville Va and then take a beautiful ride up through the Shenandoah Valley and the Appalachians to PA. I haven't been through PA this way, but google maps recommends picking up I-78 and taking it into Allentown and then 287 over to White Plains.

You can do the straight 95 thing, but it's a boring, boring boring drive with really bad traffic and it goes through the worst part of NC, IMO, speaking as a native. You could crash in Fayetteville, but there are some sketchy areas and you'd do well to read the trip advisor reviews before you pick a place and just because it's a good name (like Sheraton) does not mean it's in a good part of town.

The alternate route I've given you does go through mountainous terrain so if that is worrisome to you, you might want to stick to the I-95 route. The alternate route is only about an hour longer according to google maps and you could easily get caught in DC traffic for much longer than that. I've been caught in DC traffic for 3 hrs before. It can be really terrible. However it is a great town to visit if you're interested in extending your trip and doing a stop there.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: South Florida to New York - where should we stop?

More good things to consider. Thanks for the help!

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: South Florida to New York - where should we stop?

I second panchopop's suggestion - we have avoided DC and Baltimore like the plague. Have sat dead still in traffic at non-rush hour times. Also have hit summer vacation traffic on the Delaware Memorial Bridge - not pretty. Much more relaxing going up I-81. Yes, it's mountainous, but it's an interstate highway with banked curves and guardrails. Enjoy your trip, whatever route you take.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
8,777 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: South Florida to New York - where should we stop?

I guess I should actually answer the question of where to stop, too. You could look for somewhere around Charlotte or Huntersville or Statesville NC. You should be able to find nice accommodations around there.

10. Re: South Florida to New York - where should we stop?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 18:16