We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SF-Napa-Yosemite-Death Valley-Grand Canyon Road Trip

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
SF-Napa-Yosemite-Death Valley-Grand Canyon Road Trip

Hi,

We are planning a road trip from SF to Grand Canyon. ~15 days and trying to get some places to ride the bicycle. Has anyone done road bike in this places? Ideally we want to bike from SF to Napa to then rent a car and drive to Yosemite, DV and GC while doing some biking and hiking in this places.

Any help/advice is more than welcomed.

Julio M

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SF-Napa-Yosemite-Death Valley-Grand Canyon Road Trip

Hi

When are you coming for this? Are you flying back from Las Vegas? Or maybe Phoenix or is it a roundtrip SF-SF? Are you also planning to do some Las Vegas sightseeing?

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SF-Napa-Yosemite-Death Valley-Grand Canyon Road Trip

Hi,

We are planning a stop by in Vegas and fly out from Phoenix. We are aiming for late September.

J

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: SF-Napa-Yosemite-Death Valley-Grand Canyon Road Trip

Anyone on here have experience with bicycling in Bay area to help Julio?

If not I have a friend who lives in Santa Rosa who petals all over the bay. I can ask him about cycling.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,101 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: SF-Napa-Yosemite-Death Valley-Grand Canyon Road Trip

Julio has a bicycling thread on the Napa forum: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32766-i258-k55242…

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SF-Napa-Yosemite-Death Valley-Grand Canyon Road Trip

Thanks

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SF-Napa-Yosemite-Death Valley-Grand Canyon Road Trip

Now that I know you are bringing you bikes from NY it makes it easier to give you some more info.

Not sure I wanted to go to Napa by bike. You can ride a lot in San Francisco (going over GC bridge etc) Keep in mind those hills in SF really are steep!

You also can use your bikes in Yosemite Valley and certainly at the Grand Canyon.Riding along the rim is great and almost flat also. Death Valley will be flat in the valley itself (below sealevel!) but it still can be hot. Hope you also will be visiting Sedona

Prob best to rent a car in San Francisco and deliver it in Phoenix but prob there will be drop off charges.

You timing is excellent. End of september and october are great for this trip. Prob already fall colors along eastern sierras and temps in DV are bearable

Here's first idea for a 15 days trip.

1. Arr San Francisco

2,3: San Francisco

4. To Yosemite NP

5,6 Yosemite

7..Yosemite over Tioga Pass to Mono Lake, visit Bodie and stay Mammoth Lakes or Lee Vining or Bishop

8. To Death Valley NP

9. Death Valley NP

10. To Las vegas

11, To Grand Canyon NP. Stops at Hoover Dam and the new Colorado River Bridge and drive along R66 between Kingman and Seligman with stops in Hackberry and Seligman

12. Grand Canyon NP

13. To Sedona leaving GC by its east entrance and incorporate Cameron Trading Post, Wupatki and Sunset Crater NMs and Flagstaff. Take az89A to Sedona

14. Sedona (great for biking)

15: To Phoenix (2 hours drive) for the flight home.

Definitely make your reservations for Yosemite and Grand Canyon and also in Death Valley.

Happy planning. You are going to do one of the great roadtrips in the West. Take your time for eastern sierras. They are awsome.

Tet

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,101 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SF-Napa-Yosemite-Death Valley-Grand Canyon Road Trip

I've been looking for your Yosemite thread, but there isn't one yet.

You are allowed to ride your personal bike on paved Park roads, but it isn't recommended. There are way too many novice RV drivers, unsure mountain drivers, and distracted drivers. They don't know how wide their vehicle is, how fast to drive, how to drive in the mountains, and where to look when there is an animal at the side of the road. The Valley has a bike path that is best to use. Map & more info: yosemitepark.com/bike-trails.aspx

New York, New York...
Level Contributor
27 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SF-Napa-Yosemite-Death Valley-Grand Canyon Road Trip

Thanks to all. So it seems like my idea of biking from SF to Napa has not been very welcomed. I even got some advice from a writer of the Moon Guides (thanks Ann Marie) and it turns out it can be somewhat tricky and dangerous. Damn cars!

Proably will take the ferry to Vallejo and then the bus. Hopefully they accept bikes. I just want to be able to bring my bike for the rest of the road.

Sugestions?

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,452 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: SF-Napa-Yosemite-Death Valley-Grand Canyon Road Trip

Sorry to hear that the locals didn't think it was a good idea to bike all the way from SF to Napa. I held back from commenting on your post as I have no personal experience, except to say our friend who lives in SF who is a very keen bike rider - he uses his bike daily in and around SF, and his car at most once a month - has stopped riding over the Golden Gate to Sausalito or Mt Tamalpais because it's no longer any fun, and he used to head over that way (north of SF in general) pretty much every weekend.

I'm afraid it's not better heading south either. He only goes that way twice a year, as part of a sponsored bike ride all the way to LA, where they have marshalls to keep RVs and larger cars away from the bikes.

The area around either Napa or Sonoma are much more conducive to biking and very pretty, and lots of people do it. However, in the afternoons watch out for those who are doing a winery tour by bike and are no longer so steady or totally in control of their bikes!

SWT

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: SF-Napa-Yosemite-Death Valley-Grand Canyon Road Trip

So, don't drink and ride ;)