We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need help - please if you have some experiences let me know.

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
need help - please if you have some experiences let me know.

I am planing to go on a trip from Toronto to Glendale California.

with 2 kids 7 and 13.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, or advise.

motels, roads, or ......

Thanks

Edited: 10 July 2012, 20:01
Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need help - please if you have some experiences let me know.

When? How long do you have? Anything you want to see on way? I assume you will be driving?

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: need help - please if you have some experiences let me know.

in fact I plan to move to Glendale. I thought maybe road trip is a good option.

in September or end of August.

thanks for the reply.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
80 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need help - please if you have some experiences let me know.

Give us an idea of how long you want to be on the road and what priorities are to see. I'm local to the area so happy to help.

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
72,089 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need help - please if you have some experiences let me know.

Welcome to TripAdvisor, mohsen;

Toronto to Glendale Ca. is approx. 2518 miles / 4052 km. At 8 hours of non-stop driving, the trip would be about 4.5 days. You would need to factor in additional time for meals, breaks, traffic delays, sightseeing, weather, and US Customs.

As the others have asked, how long do you have to make this trip, what do you wish to see along the way, what are your priorities ?

The more information you provide the more detailed replies you will receive.

Best Regards

Edited: 10 July 2012, 21:47
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need help - please if you have some experiences let me know.

Basically there are 2 routes shortest way. The first is via Detroit-Chicago-Omaha-Denver-Las Vegas-Glendale, the other one is via Indianapolis, St. Louis-Oklahoma City-Albuquerque-Flagstaff (Grand Canyon)-Glendale. From St. Louis to Los Angeles you can stop at many places along R66. The drive via Denver is very scenic west of Denver and parts to Las Vegas. Many National Parks more or less on your way then like Rock Mountains NP, Canyonlands NP, Arches NP. Bryce Canyon NP and Zion NP.

Tet

Toronto, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: need help - please if you have some experiences let me know.

5 days on the road.thanks for the help

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need help - please if you have some experiences let me know.

Pretty tough in 5 days and I even didnot mention roadworks. We had them every 100 miles or so.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need help - please if you have some experiences let me know.

It really will be hard to do in 5 days without torturing the kids. Plan to spend at least one day in place without driving if you have to do it because of a job or something.

I'd recommend getting up and on the road at 6am every day and drive for four hours or so with snacks in the car for breakfast. Then stop for a long lunch and an activity in the local area for four or five hours. If there are two of you drivers, let one of them take a nap in the car. In the late afternoon, drive for another two hours, and stop for dinner, then back in the car for a long drive while the kids sleep. It works well. You can get in ten hours of driving this way without making everyone suffer so much, and remember the trip as a fun time.

Get some audio books you can all enjoy to pass the time. I highly recommend the first comedy album of Brian Regan, maybe The Hobbit, and maybe some Hank the Cowdog, and books recorded by Jim Weiss. Everyone watching TV or listening to their own devices gets isolating even if you're all in the same vehicle. Be sure to play license plate bingo to see if you can bag all 50 states! Have a contest to see who can spot the most white horses over the length of the trip.

Roseville...
Level Contributor
1,102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: need help - please if you have some experiences let me know.

One of the things we did when our kids were your kids ages was get each his own walkman CD player (or todays equivelant) with earphones. Plus programming for the player. They saved us on long stretches of road.

If you can add a couple more days at least, please do so.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: need help - please if you have some experiences let me know.

Will you be driving this trip with your posessions in tow ??? carracar