We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cooler Food Suggestions

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Cooler Food Suggestions

We are taking a road trip first to Virginia and then to New York in early August. I'm starting my lists and am making my shopping list for the cooler we'll be taking with us. It's myself, my husband ans our 4 year old. If anyone has any good suggestions on what to pack in the cooler (food and supplies) it would be much appreciated. We'll be at a friend's house in Virginia and at a hotel with a kitchen for part of New York and at a relative's house for the rest of New York so mostly looking for ideas of what to eat on the road and the one time we'll stop at a hotel on the way up and the way home.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
18,593 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cooler Food Suggestions

We've recently had a picnic/cooler thread on the Yellowstone forum. You might get some ideas from posters there.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60999-i481-k54931…

Pam

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,716 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cooler Food Suggestions

Pam ~ what a great thread! I always suggest picnics to folks visiting Yosemite, but not many people seem enthused by my suggestion.

No one on your Yellowstone thread suggested dried hummus. Is that not available anywhere?

GK95 ~ pack the foods you like to eat. String cheese, yogurt, any fruit that you like chilled, drinks, etc. You can partially freeze a pouched drink (Capri Sun) and it will be like a slushy later in the day. I like to bring snap peas & sliced carrots.

We like to travel with a paring knife, some utensils, a bowl, a plate, zipper bags, and lots of paper towels.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,593 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cooler Food Suggestions

PNW, many are big into picnicking in Yellowstone. Mostly because the food places are far apart and if you're watching wolves or bears you hate to leave because your stomach is calling!

I have not heard of dried hummus!! Is it just something like garbanzo flour?

Pam

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
55,716 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cooler Food Suggestions

I haven't heard of garbanzo flour. The dehydrated hummus is in bulk bins at Fred Meyer locally. I think some Whole Foods carry it, and someone on another forum says it can be found at WinCo. Put "dehydrated hummus" into Google Images to see some. It's just tan/brown powder. I rehydrate with water only, but you're supposed to put in a bit of oil as well. I always carry some on backpacking trips now. Fast, easy, delicious, and flavorful!

Several of the dining options in Yosemite NP close early, like 5 pm. And the ones that are open have long lines. Picnics make sense to me!

Yellowstone story ... I was mixing up some tuna for sandwiches and I set the can down. When I turned back, I saw a coyote running away with the can. My daughter was 3 at the time and wanted me to get it back. Sorry about feeding the wildlife!

GK95 ~ whatever you like to eat should be in your cooler. It's possible that your little one will be happier with familiar food.

Chicago's North...
Destination Expert
for Illinois, Chicago
Level Contributor
6,514 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cooler Food Suggestions

sounds like you'll have access to a freezer during your trips... if that's the case, i strongly suggest you get a few blocks of blue ice (vs regular bagged ice) for your cooler... you'll be surprised at how long they keep your cooler cold!

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cooler Food Suggestions

Thank you all for the suggestions. And the link was great - lots of good suggestions on there as well. I never though of hard boiled eggs but I'll be making and bringing some of those.

N. Idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,593 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cooler Food Suggestions

PNW, well we have a Winco locally so I will cruise by the bulk bins and see if they have any. Garbanzo flour is well, flour made of garbanzos. I think people who are gluten free can use it. I've has brownies made of it and it is good, higher in protein and you really can't tell it is different than regular flour. Also have had lentil flour in cakes...but this is lentil/garbanzo country!

Funny story about the tuna can. Easy fishing for the coyote. I hope your daughter has that as a memory!

Pam

Florida
Destination Expert
for Palm Harbor
Level Contributor
1,099 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cooler Food Suggestions

Thanks again to everyone for the suggestions. We returned from our trip having put almost 3,000 on our car and the food we took in the coolers was a life and money saver! I never realized how much we would drink and eat on the road and in the hotels when we stopped but in the scheme of things we had to buy very little food. I swore I had brought too much at the beginning but on the ride home I realized I should have even shopped a little more before we left for home. Your suggestions were great and I look forward to my family's next road trip!

Edited: 21 August 2012, 03:52
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cooler Food Suggestions

The dehydrated humus is great for when I am backpacking. I mainly use it for extra emergency food. But for coolers, the tubs of hummus taste much better :)

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,037 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Cooler Food Suggestions

Dried hummus sounds revolting : (................my vote goes to beer and cold pizza ; )

Edited: 21 August 2012, 17:31