We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

more help with itiniary please

suffolk
Level Contributor
191 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
more help with itiniary please

Hi, we are in US first 2 weeks Sept. You've already helped me greatly,I now have another query.

We will be leaving Vegas early morning, planning to go thro Death Valley on 160, then 190 then head north on US395, and stop possibly at Lone Pine (or should we push on to Bishop?) for the night. Not booked yet. Then next day on up thro wonderful scenery I think to Tioga pass into Yosemite.

This is where I now have doubts. We've booked into Cedar Lodge El Portal for 2 nights. I think its about 200 miles from Lone Pine to El Portal - a long way, so not much time to stop and admire. I wonder now if we should split our stay in Yosemite between 2 locations, one nearer Tioga Pass entrance, poss Lee Vining.

Want to see Glacier Point. Don't want to feel rushed, would rather see fewer things properly.

I'd be grateful for your suggestions please. Its hard to grasp the huge areas involved.! Any ideas of routes thro the park, and suggestions for route on to Cambria please (which park exit) e

After Yosemite, we are going to Cambria (stay 1 night near there) then 1 night at Carmer, then 3 nights SF.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,481 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: more help with itiniary please

Hi again.

I would not split you locations in Yosemite, but yes you may wish to stay further up the 395. Bishop is only about an hour north of Lone Pine, you could make Mammoth Lakes with an early start from Las Vegas which is 100 miles, so about 2 hours further north, and still have time for the sights in DV. Mammoth is nicer than Lee Vining IMO.

Heading to Cambria, I would take the CA41 south out of the park via Fresno, it basically goes all the way, until you split off on the CA46 near Shandon.

suffolk
Level Contributor
191 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: more help with itiniary please

Thanks for the info Valiant. I'd be happy if we can get to mammoth, as that puts us in good place next morning for Yosemite.

According to an online calculator,(which I don't trust!!) it is 227 miles Vegas to Lone Pine (4hrs)

,265 Vegas (time 4hrs 9 mins to Bishop,

308 Vegas to Mammoth Lakes (driving time 4.53 hrs)

Can you give me more accurate figures please. I know Tet told me before it was about 4.5 hrs just Vegas to Lone Pine, plus of course stops along the way.

IF we can manage to leave Vegas about 7am, could get thro Death Valley early. I'm worried Vegas to Mammoth too much for one day? Is it about 6.50 hours driving from Vegas? Wouldn't want to do much more than that.

Cheers

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: more help with itiniary please

Door to door count on 4.5 hours between Las Vegas and Lone Pine. Lone Pine is an "Mainstreet America"" town with lots of character. Also much to see in Lone Pine like Alabama Hills, movie museum and Whitney portal. Bishop is a larger country town with all amenities. You really need a lot of time in Death Valley and in an ideal world I'd also add a stop before getting into Yosemite and see Bodie Ghosttown. You can stay Lee Vining, June Lake or even Mammoth Lakes. Manzanar, Devils Postpile, old Bristlecones forest, Laws Museum, June Lake and Mono Lake all are places worth a visit along us395. Eastern Sierras are as beautiful as a National Park.

Staying over night in death Valley and next day to us395 also is an option. Stargazing in DV is magnificent. So is the time for sunset and sunrise. Hot? Yes it will be hot but there's a/c You're here to see things, not to rush through imo so I would not recommend Las Vegas to Mammoth in one day.

Tet

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,481 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: more help with itiniary please

It's more like 340 miles if you take the 190 through DV, via Pahrump from LV.

I'd allow 7 hours for the drive, which allows for short stops, plus anytime I spent extra in DV. Last time I did it, including time in DV, we left about 7 and got to Bishop by 3 pm, and spent about 2 hours off route in DV, and had lunch in Big Pine. So, given you may want more time than we did, as it was a re-visit for us, you should be there by 5pm even if you take longer stops along the way to break up the drive.

suffolk
Level Contributor
191 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: more help with itiniary please

Unfortunately we only have a limited time, not enough, really wish I had longer. I feel this is all too rushed. Now reconsidering rest of trip, if I can add a day in Sierras, and have more time in Yosemite.

We had planned to go from Yosmite to Cambria, as I love the look of the wild coast., and din't want to cut that short.

Stay Cambria1 night, then to Carmel 1 night, then SF 3 nights.

Suggestions please. Should I forget Cambria, go from Yosemite to Carmel 1 night, SF 3 nights. Could spend quite a bit of time on coast seeing sealions etc still? Would miss Big Sur.

Assume would cut mileage down a fair bit. Is it a pretty route from Yosemite to Carmel?

Or the alternative is to cut SF down to 2 nights. Our flights is late morning, so that would mean arive SF 12th late pm, drop car off, have just the 13th to explore inc Alcatraz, then home 14th.

Any opinions, ideas would be very helpful, thanks. i don't know what I'd do without you all.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: more help with itiniary please

I would not want to miss the stretch between Cambria and Monterey. One of the most scenic drives in the USA. I'm a big fan of the eastern sierras but in your time frame I'd make it to Yosemite with just one overnight stay like in Bishop or Mammoth Lakes. I also would not shorten your time for SF.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,481 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: more help with itiniary please

Hi.

In fairness to Tet, I don't think he had seen to rest of your trip plan. All his suggestions for the eastern sierras are very valid if you have the time. You'll just have to come back again, there is always too much to see, too much to do along any road trip route, that's why we can't get enough of them. As Tet says, stick with your plan including the coast from Cambria, you will have a great trip whatever you do on the route your taking : ).

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: more help with itiniary please

So confused now ;) What did I miss?

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
13,481 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: more help with itiniary please

Hi Tet.

I think Annie read your great list of things to see in the eastern Sierras and got worried that they would need even more days to see it, which they would, I think you could easily spend the best part a week travelling from LV to Yosemite that route exploring along the 395.

However, with their timescale as you said its a case of priorities and Yosemite, Big Sur and SF should be those once they leave DV, and fits with the advice we have previously given to her original trip plan from Phx to SF.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
57,101 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: more help with itiniary please

>> We had planned to go from Yosmite to Cambria, as I love the look of the wild coast., and din't want to cut that short. <<

>> Is it a pretty route from Yosemite to Carmel? <<

The drive across California from Yosemite Valley (Arch Rock Entrance) to Carmel is not much different than from Yosemite Valley (South Entrance) to Cambria. The latter drive is longer, but I think it's the better option for you so you can enjoy the lovely northbound drive on Hwy 1 via Big Sur from Cambria to Carmel.

Mileages from Yosemite Valley Visitor Center nps.gov/yose/…mileages9-2007.pdf