We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Blueridge Parkway in one day

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Blueridge Parkway in one day

We are traveling from Atlantic City NJ to Boone in NC but have only allocated 1 day to get there.

Could we drive the Blueridge Parkway & make it in one day?

I suppose at a pinch we could leave AC a day early & spend the night somewhere along the way.

That means we would have 2 full days to get there.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
415 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Blueridge Parkway in one day

It would take about 15 hours of driving and that is with no stops or road delays. Maximun speed on the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP) is 45 mph and the BRP is approximately 350 miles long. If you want to enjoy the drive I would suggest taking 2 full days.

If you stayed with the Interstate highways it would take over 10 hours (again no stops or delays) which is a very long day. I-81 goes through the Shenandoah Valley is a pretty drive just not as relaxing as the BRP would be

Just above the BRP is Skyline Drive which is a very nice drive, There is a fee and it is also slow driving - I believe it is 35 mph - but imo it is worth it. nps.gov/shen/…driving-skyline-drive.htm

Since both Skyline Drive and BRP are not too far from i-81 you could drive on them and when you felt the need you could jump out to I-81 and drive at the faster interstate pace.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
20,443 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Blueridge Parkway in one day

As said above, it's a very, very slow drive, owing to the very low speed limit. I've never done the whole BRP, and, although it really is beautiful, I'm not sure I'd want to in one continuous go, as, with the slow speed limit, it could get a bit tedious, despite the beauty.

I'd suggest you consider, as suggested, combining Skyline with the BRP, but go with the recommendation to dip in and out as you feel, with a few faster legs along I-81 to make up time and get you past one sector to the next. Two days would be great.

There are lots of pull ins for stops of vistas or waterfalls, and it's lovely at any time of year, but possibly most dramatic in fall time.

Enjoy,

SWT

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Blueridge Parkway in one day

take 2 days-- drive the Skyline Dr-- skip the BRP. Skyline Dr has many more pull offs and view points. Lovely scenery the whole way, but Sussex is right-- it will get very tedious to drive the whole road imo.

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Blueridge Parkway in one day

Hello Adam,

When are you traveling?

Not from Atlantic City but I drove from NJ zillion times and I'm curious how you concluded you could drive all the way from Atlantic City to Boone via Blue Ridge Parkway in one day. Getting out of NJ, taking I-95, I-495, I-66 could prolong your travel already and add hours to your trip. Find your way to I-81 from I-66 this highway could be very busy as well and sometimes road construction have long detours in VA to local roads. On Blue Ridge Parkway watch out for those spots where speed limit is lower than 45 mph. When you get behind a slow car you have no place to pass for miles. Blue Ridge Parkway is for slow driving in order to enjoy scenery. There are many pull offs all along and they are there for one specific reason so you can stop and enjoy what's around you. This is not a road for a fast driving. Please be safe and think of safety of other travelers as well.

Edited: 23 August 2012, 13:48
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Blueridge Parkway in one day

Yes I think 1 day is not achievable, we have decide to to leave AC a day early which gives us 2 full days to get down there.

I have recently discovered the road & we had previously intended to take the freeway all the way down & while it would of been a long day, we could of done it.

Interesting about the Skyway being prettier, I will investigate.

Is there any sections we can safely skip without missing anything? I did read there is a fairly long flat bit in Virginia.

Is there a nice town around half way that we should stay at?

Are bears or mountain lions naitive to the area & is there a possibilty of seeing them along the way?

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Blueridge Parkway in one day

Adam, for more suggestions you should post these questions on VA and NC forums.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
415 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Blueridge Parkway in one day

The VA and NC forums suggestion is a good one.

There are accomodations on Skyline Drive (see the link in #1) .

Also, you could pull off into a town off Skyline Drive such as Luray.

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
8,433 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Blueridge Parkway in one day

no idea where on your route this is-- but at the end of Skyline Drive and before entering the Blue Ridge Parkway, there's a town called Waynesboro. We stayed in a B and B several years ago there and really liked it. However-- it is different owners now, so can't speak for it. Have to check reviews.

http://www.irisinn.com/

Skyline Drive just has alot more overlooks. Much of the Blue Ridge Parkway is just driving along the mountain top surrounded by woods-- nothing to see but the curves ahead and trees on either side :) And, too- Skyline Dr is much shorter-- could pop on and do just that section and then back off.

Chapel Hill, North...
Level Contributor
7,567 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Blueridge Parkway in one day

I disagree with wings, but it's a matter of opinion. I think the BRP is much more scenic than Skyline, especially around the Boone/Blowing Rock area. The Linn Cove Viaduct around Grandfather Mountain is an engineering marvel and beautiful to boot. North Carolina has higher and more dramatic mountains than Virginia. nationalparkstraveler.com/2012/08/blue-ridge…

Regarding bears and mountain lions—you can see some in the Grandfather Mountain nature center. http://www.grandfather.com Native mountain lions are reportedly extinct, but rumors persist that they are still there. There certainly are bears. Some folks report having better luck seeing them in the Cades Cove area of the Great Smoky Mt National Park. I have never seen one in the wild in the mts of NC, but you do get reports of them. One used to like to come raid my great aunt's birdfeeder. I think you can also see bears, not sure about mountain lions, at the Nature Center near Asheville (http://wncnaturecenter.com/).

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
154 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Blueridge Parkway in one day

OK just to update the post.

We tried to get into the inn at river bend http://innatriverbend.com/

however they are all booked up, the views there look absolutely astounding & I just had a feeling it would be booked out.

The people there were great though and gave me some other recommendations.

We have booked in at the following which is in Charlottesville & its about at the midway point so now instead of the trip being a Griswold endurance event, we can take it easy and enjoy the trip itself.

http://www.sugarhollow.com/index.htm

Now we just have to count the days, We are driving through in mid October and it seems this is a very good time to travel with all the Autumn/fall leaves along with a good chance of seeing falling stars from meteor showers.