We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing our own GPS?

Boston...
Level Contributor
193 posts
287 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing our own GPS?

Sorry...this is likely a stupid question but we cannot seem to find the answer anywhere.

We're headed out for a west coast trip in Oct/Nov from New England. I'm not a fan of GPS units except for my Garmin. That said, I'd rather bring my own instead of renting one from Avis (at $14/per day) - saves us some $$ too.

What I can't seem to find is whether or not we CAN use our own unit? I'm assuming we can but it's been 20+ years since we've rented a car. And, I can't seem to find an answer from Avis either.

Have others done this? Thanks!!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,244 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing our own GPS?

Yes, of course you can. The car rental company has no jurisdiction on what electronics you use. I routinely use the GPS in my iPhone or one of my Garmin units. No reason to pay an additional daily fee.

Have a great trip.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
21,770 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing our own GPS?

We always advise folk to use their own GPS in a rental car rather than pay the daily fee!

SWT

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing our own GPS?

you can do anything you want in a rental car as long as it passes inspection when you return it.

Caerphilly, United...
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bringing our own GPS?

We always use our own. We've downloaded maps for the whole of the US onto an old smart phone, ensure they're updated before we go, and never had a problem - we also then pre-programme the addresses of the hotels we've booked along the way and any other specific places we know we'll want t visit.

Because the maps are actually downloaded to the phone we don't incur any internet costs

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,228 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bringing our own GPS?

Not a stupid question at all!

One thing I will mention though - do not depend upon your GPS unit in outlying rural areas such as Death Valley, Yellowstone and so on because it will not be accurate!

And do not follow it blindly up dirt roads into snowbanks or into a lake . . .

You may laugh about that last sentence but it happens more times than you might think out here in the "wild" west and poor folks have actually died blindly following the GPS instead of reading a paper map or even asking directions the old fashioned way.

Edited: 05 September 2012, 02:05
Boston...
Level Contributor
193 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bringing our own GPS?

Excellent! Thanks so much everyone!

7. Re: Bringing our own GPS?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 10:17