We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Florida to Upstate NY in mid FEB 2013...

Orlando, Florida...
2 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Florida to Upstate NY in mid FEB 2013...

My friend and I are driving from Orlando, FL to upstate NY. We will eventually end up back in Detroit, MI. We have about 2 weeks set aside for this trip, most likely Feb 18-March 1st.

Understandably it's going to be a bit chilly. Any suggestions or warnings would be amazing.

I've been researching places to check out and routes to go but I'm a little forum retarded and having some difficulties. Looking for some opinions and ideas on what the weather is going to be like through the Appalachian Mountains. Want to be prepared for the most scenic routes and trails available.

Also might be stupid question but the waterfalls don't freeze do they?

Also any cabins, Inns, or other places to stay warm. Roads, diners, anything!!!

Ohio
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
9,144 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Florida to Upstate NY in mid FEB 2013...

you can expect to be driving in snowy and very cold weather that time of year. Do you mean the Niagara Falls when asking if they freeze?

Orlando, Florida...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Florida to Upstate NY in mid FEB 2013...

no any falls in north and south carolina.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Florida to Upstate NY in mid FEB 2013...

At that time of year, if there are long periods of sub freezing temps (which can happen in the Appalachians, even in NC and Virginia) some of the smaller waterfalls can freeze completely. Some of the more shallow rivers and creeks can also freeze. They are lovely to look at. Is that what you are wondering about?

I should also mention that you would probably need to be bundled up pretty well if you venture out to look at gorgeous landscapes in the winter. It's a great time to hike - no leaves to block the view. The sun feels great, but the wind can be brutal, too. The weather is not that predictable - it can vary by day and by location. You'll have to be prepared for just about anything.

Level Contributor
66 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Florida to Upstate NY in mid FEB 2013...

Waterfalls do freeze.. but they are still beautiful to look at. My advice is that you research through the state dot websites which roads will be open during your exact time travel periods. If am not mistaken, the Blue Ridge parkway closes during the winter ( late november-march?) And with that - so do many of the hotels and B&B in the area of the Appalachains, for instance Little Switzerland on the blue ridge parkway literally shuts down.

You should be fine if you stick to the larger highways- they tend to stay well traveled and cared for...even during the occasional snowfall/freezing rain. As long as you are not putting yourself on tight schedule- it should be a beautiful drive.

As far as routes- it seems like you will likely be traveling I-81. Never used this road go all the way to upstate new york, I have always used 95 myself because it seems quicker and because I like stopping in DC.

5. Re: Driving from Florida to Upstate NY in mid FEB 2013...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2013, 10:17