We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US Car hire

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
US Car hire

Hi - anyone got any comments on this company . I have booked with them for a trip next year but getting increasingly nervous, booking confirmation quotes a one way drop drop off fee of $900 - i have queried this twice and been told this is a mistake and they state there is no one way drop off fee. The booking states we are with Alamo - when i check the Alamo website it quotes a one way fee . Not sure if Im just being paranoid so would appreciate any info on them ?

I am picking up in San Francisco and dropping to Vegas.

http://www.uscarhire.com/

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US Car hire

Most car rental companies in the USA charge a one-way drop off fee.

I would advise to never ever trust an anonymous voice on a phone, or somebody saying the website has a "mistake" in it!

Get anything and everything in writing with first and last names of the person in charge!

No, you are not being paranoid :-)

Have you checked Car Hire 3000?

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
18,212 posts
415 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: US Car hire

I would also be concerned. One-way rentals can be very expensive and I would not assume that there is not a $900 drop fee. It could very well be realistic.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,307 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US Car hire

I have read that some of those 3rd party companies (similar to USCarHire) don't charge a one way drop fee between SF, L.A., Las Vegas, & Phoenix.

You might go to the California state forum page and put "uscarhire" in the forum search in bar. I just did that and got 5 pages of threads where this word was used. Many of those threads just have the company suggested as opposed to a report about using them, but you can send a Private Message to anyone who said they were planning to use them.

There are also quite a few threads with uscarhire as the title in the Orlando forum. I found them by putting 'uscarhire' in the search bar on the United States forum page: tripadvisor.com/ListForums-g191-i3

Good luck!

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: US Car hire

Hi.

uscarhirecom are one of the regular companies the Brits, like me, on this forum recommend. There should be no one-way fee on that rental as its in the CA,NV, AZ, zone, and this is clearly stated in their terms and conditions.

http://www.uscarhire.com/terms.aspx

If you really still bothered get their admin to send you an email confirming no one way fee. When you checked was it on Alamo.co.uk rather than the .com website, as usually the uk website does not show a one -way either( nor Dollar)?.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: US Car hire

Worth noting the only exception to the above is convertibles, rented out of SF in the summer months, July/Aug, as a fee was introduced last year by some suppliers.

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: US Car hire

Try fox rent a car

Only out west and so great and cheaper than all the biggies

They charge an extra amount flat fee but return it when you return car

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,965 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: US Car hire

We had 6 different cars during our 7 week trip ... the most expensive one way drop off fee was $300 from Boston to Nashville ... but we were prepared for it.

I was surprised at the $100 drop off fee from Washington DC to Newark ... I thought that route would be a no drop off fee area .. but I was wrong.

But we paid for the convenience.

It'll be added to your credit card after you return the car.

Wednesbury, UK
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: US Car hire

Hi Eaglemanic.

None of the UK brokers offer intersate rentals fee free in the eastern US , although there are some within State with certain suppliers. The OP wil not have to pay a one- way fee on the SF to Vegas route with Alamo, booked from the uk as they have done.

Also nanosgy's advice is bad for a UK resident, unless you know exactly what you are doing when it comes to taking out the supplementary insurance covers you will need at the desk, or your have your own stand alone policy, and have factored it into the costs.

Unlike many US citizens we have no own auto insurance or credit card coverage for rentals, it could prove very costly, more so if you have an accident.

Edited: 10 October 2012, 13:17
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
59,307 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: US Car hire

Fox has a pretty bad reputation at LAX and a moderately bad one at SFO. I haven't used them in those markets, but I wouldn't recommend them. Too many troubles, poor customer service, rude staff, bait & switch, and every other problem you can think of. Anyone who had a positive rental experience with Fox should consider themselves lucky.

I think foreign visitors need to choose a consolidator or rental company with a good reputation. Alamo is a great choice and one of my personal favorites.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: US Car hire

Thanks everyone - think i will stick with them based on Valiants on tour feedback however i did look at the alamo website - the uk version and it does quote a one way fee - cheers everyone .